Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JjFL08

JjFL08

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:48 AM

Ok, so after I got rid of the virus that caused my comp to reject my internet connections, M$ decides it wants to start automatically updating my computer. So it updates it, and for a while it worked, and then while I was updating music onto my zune the comp froze on me. I turn it off and then I turn it back on, it will go to the XP loading screen and then pause 5 seconds and then flash that blue screen. I stopped the restart and this is the error message it gave me:

STOP: 0x00000007E (0xC0000005, 0x86D6B984, 0xF79518B4, 0xF79515B0)

can anyone help? Safe mode won't work and neither will recovery console. Is there any way to save it without losing the data on my hard drive?

And btw I'm using a 5-yr old toshiba satellite laptop with XP home sp3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

Have you tried running the System File Checker?

Using sfc with the scannow option will scan and repair important Windows files.

Go to Start> Run and type in sfc /scannow and then click on OK.

Are you sure that you have copied the error code correctly?

Edited by dc3, 08 September 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JjFL08

JjFL08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

I can't access the OS at all it keeps giving me that blue screen when I try. And yes I'm very sure.

Edited by JjFL08, 08 September 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

If you have the installation CD for the operating system try doing a repair installation. This will not affect you data or added applications.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JjFL08

JjFL08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Ok thanks. I'll do this as soon as I can find my cd. Lol thanks so much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users