Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet is shut off after a few hours

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RileyWolf

RileyWolf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:34 AM

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site, but I saw some good answers and I was hoping someone would beable to help. I have had my Compaq Presario for just over two years now. I run Windows Vista, and I connect to the net through Internet Connection Sharing on another computer on my home network.

My problem started recently; I was surfing the net normally, when I noticed after opening a Firefox Window that I couldn't connect. The message said, unable to connect to the server, I believe. But the weird part is other programs could still connect, for instance Yahoo Messenger, for a little while, and other programs. The connected to the net icon is in the tray still. It's like Windows thinks it is still connected. Eventually everything would be disconnected and the only way I can figure out how to get net access back again is to hard reboot; turn off the computer and turn it on again.

I tried the normal diagnostics throgh Windows; it found nothing wrong. I am pretty sure that it's not my ISP, my network or how I am connecting as the other computers are fine and I can access other computers on my network still. I also have a mobile internet dongle for surfing when I'm not near a wifi signal, and that cannot coonect either, which leads me to think it is my computer.

Note; I recently had AVG tell me that mslunkern.dll was a bad file; the problems started around then.

This is causing me problems, as I use my latptop for my work. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

Edited by RileyWolf, 08 September 2010 - 03:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Lets get to the command prompt by clicking START.

In the search field, type CMD

When CMD.EXE appears right click it and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

In the CMD window type the following: netstat

Then press enter.

This will tell you what connections you have to the Internet.

Let us know what you see in the cmd window once it has finished with its response.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 September 2010 - 12:33 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 RileyWolf

RileyWolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:26 AM

Hey, thanks for your help.

I ran netstat and when the net was cut off after a few hours, then copied the information into a notepad file and saved it, however for some reason it did not save, so, I will have to wait until it happens again. It did say, under State, CLOSED_WAIT, if that helps.

I will post back when I have the information.

Thanks again.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

You are most welcomed, I will watch for your next reply.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 RileyWolf

RileyWolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

Hey,

What is the command to make netstat copy it's information to a text file?

Thanks.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hey,

What is the command to make netstat copy it's information to a text file?

Thanks.

Here ya go.

•Click start-->Run
•Type cmd in your Windows Run box. Right click CMD and choose RUN AS ADINISTRATOR
•Type netstat -b 5 > activity.txt at the command prompt and press enter.
•Wait 2 minutes or so and press Ctrl+C, then close the command window (the longer you wait, the bigger the log).
•Open a command window again and Type activity.txt at the command prompt then press Enter to open the log file in notepad.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 September 2010 - 01:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users