Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation history

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 munashe

munashe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how to delete program installation history in Windows XP?

Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:26 AM

to the best of my knowledge there no one place its stored for all programs ,,and not all program create a install log ,some when installing will create a new restore point ,so thats one place the info would show up,when/if you used system restore , and there would usually be reference to the program in the registry ,even after uninstalling the program .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

I agree with caperjac.

Various programs create files with the extension called .log

Unless you have hide known file extensions in folder options check marked, you can try using the search feature of Windows using .log

This will display any files that have the .log extension.

You can go through the list of results you get using this .log search and observe their contents.

If you feel those .log files are not worth the space they consume, you can delete them.

There are programs that search drives with a specific search quarry in mind and will delete them automatically.

CCleaner from piriform.com has this ability, there is a delete windows logs option on the cleaner tab.

If you use CCleaner, I strongly suggest you avoid using any part of the program that makes changes to or deletes any entries in the Windows registry.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Richie Moore

Richie Moore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

Do you just want to remove a program listing in the Add/Remove Programs window?
That can be done throught the registry and is sometimes necessary for programs that don't do a good job of uninstalling themselves.
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

Do you just want to remove a program listing in the Add/Remove Programs window?
That can be done throught the registry and is sometimes necessary for programs that don't do a good job of uninstalling themselves.
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall

Good suggestion.

However, I do want to add that anytime you edit anything in the windows registry, make sure you back up the regisrty first.

This way if something goes wrong, you can always restore the registry back to the way it was before you made any changes to it.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Exactly what are you trying to do?

What installation history are you referring to?

To remove all traces of a formerly installed program...you need to edit both the registry and file folders for all traces of said program.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users