Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Upgrade Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wpgsnow8

wpgsnow8

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hi : Please help I can't seem to get an answer from microsoft on product keys.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade installed on my laptop and I want to install it on desk top. I realize you need another product.
On their website they have a product key for $90 would this enable me to have Windows 7 on desktop computer, or does this just upgrade the program.

thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

Just go to the store and buy a windows 7 disc (office max, office depot, best buy, walmart, tons of other stores....)

#3 wpgsnow8

wpgsnow8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

I have the disk, I want to know if the product key can be purchased alone.
I don't want to buy the program all over again.

#4 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

Just use the same disc and key.....

#5 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

Hi : Please help I can't seem to get an answer from microsoft on product keys.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade installed on my laptop and I want to install it on desk top. I realize you need another product.
On their website they have a product key for $90 would this enable me to have Windows 7 on desktop computer, or does this just upgrade the program.

thanks for your help

On Microsoft's website, it is most likely an upgrade as the full version runs usually around $200 if purchased from them directly.

If you buy a retail copy in the store, it will cost roughly about the same.

However, if you buy a system builder copy, like from newegg, you can pick it up for $100 or around that for the full version. Just be sure to make sure you choose the right one (32v64 bit)

You can't buy the key alone directly from Microsoft (unless doing an anytime upgrade), and anyone who is selling them is doing so illegally as far as I know.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

wpgsnow8 here is the deal, you can legally install your upgrade disk on another computer.

At some point you have to activate your copy, this is where you will get flagged by Microsoft that your copy is a pirated duplicate of one you already activated, it then sends you to a web site to make good and purchase a license key, which makes your copy a legal licensed copy.

You will be emailed a license key, then Microsoft will mail you another Windows 7 disk that works with the license key they provided you with in your email.

In the meantime, as you await your DVD to come in the mail, your copy will be a Genuine licensed copy.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users