Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does autorun need to work to use a recovery disk or watch a DVD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cat33

cat33

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

Does autorun need to work to use a recovery disk or watch a DVD?

My internet connection became sluggish and I read about autorun virus and deleted a notepad file and did some other things thinking I needed to get rid of a virus. I took notes about what I did but I think I may have forgot to write something down. So I am not sure about all I did.

I know I deleted an Autorun notepad file.
[AUTORUN]
SHELL EXECUTE=Info.exe folder.htt 480 480

I got to the notepad file by clicking on start then clicking on run then typing cmd then I am not sure what I did after that.

I took avast anti-virus off my computer and put avira on it. Avira kept telling me that it was blocking a D:\autorun.inf for my security so I deleted any autorun I could find.

When I put a dvd in to watch a video, the video wont play unless I go in windows media player and click play.

Did I accidently delete an important file? What does the notepad file that I deleted do and if I need to put it back how and where do I put it back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:52 PM

Hi Cat33, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I found a good article on this subject, you can read it here.

Using sfc with the scannow option will scan and repair important Windows files, you might give this a try.

Go to Start> Run and type in sfc /scannow and then click on OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

dc3 thanks for the welcome.

I tried the sfc/scannow and it told me "Please instert the windows XP professional Service Pack 3 CD into your CD-rom drive."

I google searched sfc/scannow and found this link:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

I think the problem is that somehow when I installed service pack 3 back in 2008, it somehow don't match with what it needs to match up with for the sfc/scannow to work?

I am researching what to do next. I guess it wouldn't do any good to try the recovery disk that came when we bought the computer back in 2006 which don't have Service Pack 3 on it.

When I click on start then accessories then click system tools then click System Information it says my operating system is "windows xp professional" and the version is listed as a version of service pack 3 but when I get system information by clicking start then "my computer" then "view system information" it says I have "windows xp media center edition" version 2002 service pack 3. I wonder if this would make a difference? I noticed this difference a long time ago but didn't investigate it.

My computer is a Windows XP media center edition so I have always wondered why in some system info it says windows xp professional instead.

Anyway, my internet connection seems ok now. Most of the time all I do on the computer is use the internet so I have time to work on this.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:55 AM

I did some searching myself before you made your last post and found pretty much the same solutions for this problem.

There is a very good article that was written by one of our member which includes some very clear, and hopefully easy to follow instructions for changing the source path in the registry. You can read it here. The second post contains the instructions for changing the registry source path.

If you do attempt this please be aware that if a mistake is made in the registry it can have serious results. Before you attempt to make any changes back up your registry you should back up the registry first.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

Does it matter where the ERUNT is installed on the computer? It seems like it wanted to install in the C:WINDOWS folder so I installed it in there. Then made 2 backups of the registry and let it put the backups in the WINDOWS folder. it seemed to slow my computer down. About an hour after installing, I got a message that I needed more virtual memory. It is rare for me to get one of those messages. So I took the 2 backups out of the WINDOWS folder. I have turned on the computer twice since then so I don't think I harmed the computer. Should I uninstall ERUNT and install it in C:Program Files? Can I store the backups on a CD or DVD?

I unhid the WINDOWS folder so I could look in it. I am surprised some of the programs that are in there. I noticed that at least one program left something in there after I uninstalled it. I didn't want to mess up the registry so I didn't look in there long.

Anyway, it looks like it will take me some time to understand what to do. I haven't tried changing the source path yet so I can try the sfc/scannow again. I am going to do a lot more reading before I do anything else. It might be a few days before I try anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users