Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Problem - Cannot connect to internet - Possible failure by DNS to resolve addresses

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dmxn2k

dmxn2k

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

I am running Windows XP Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 3 on a Dell Dimension DIM3000 Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz processer with 1.50 GB of RAM.

I connect to the internet with a D-Link AirPlus DWL-520+ Wireless PCI Adapter through a D-LINK DGL 4300 Router connected to a Charter Cable Modem.

Approximately two weeks ago, I used Combo Fix to remove a root-kit virus. Afterword, I experienced difficulty connecting to the internet. I’ve been working on fixing the problem for some time, and though I don’t want to bias anyone, it seems to be a DNS resolution problem. Sometimes while repairing the connection though Control Panel’s Network Connections I receive the alert:

“Repair Wireless Network Connection
Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Clearing the DNS cache

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.”

On successful occasions (as well as after restarting the computer) all programs appear able to connect, but usually after around 15-20 of uptime the connection fails again.

Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome all gave these error messages after trying to connect to “google.com”.

Internet Explorer (version 8.0.6001.18702IC) gives the following message:

“ Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:
It appears you are connected to the Internet, but you might want to try to reconnect to the Internet.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

Most likely causes:
•You are not connected to the Internet.
•The website is encountering problems.
•There might be a typing error in the address.”

Mozilla Firefox (version 3.5.11) behaved thusly:

Firefox gave no error message. Instead, it showed “loading” with an animation of circles to its left, eventually changing to “(Untitled)” while saying “done” in the message bar at the bottom. The browsing window remained blank.

Google Chrome (version 5.0.375.127) gives the following message:

“This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://www.google.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): The server could not be found.”

I have tried the following:

Resetting the modem and router.

Making sure no extra lines were open on hosts.

PageFix DNS error fix. It is designed to resolve individual pages, and it did not resolve any page that I typed into the program.

Cmd prompts “netsh winsock reset catalog”, “netsh winsock reset”, and “netsh int ip reset iplog.log”

Running Combo Fix a second time

Restarting the computer using several different configurations of msconfig ranging from normal startup to diagnostic setup with a couple of necessary services/programs running for internet to work. (Sorry, but I can’t remember the exact configurations)

Changing to the DNS server addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, which I believe are Google’s DNS server addresses. (They are the current DNS server address and alternate.)

Any help resolving this issue will be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

Approximately two weeks ago, I used Combo Fix to remove a root-kit virus

...which you shouldn't be doing on your own....

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users