Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I downloaded Ubuntu might of made a mistake

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moris

moris

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:39 PM

Ok i downloaded ubuntu but i downloaded it for desktop not for laptop... and is it bad if i installed the desktop version would i have to switch right away?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:16 PM

i didn't know there was a laptop version (i don't think there is). there are some versions that focus on netbooks like easypeasy, but i just finished sampling easypeasy on a desktop a couple of days ago. it doesn't do any harm to the computer. it may just not feel as good to use.
you don't have anything to worry about. personally, i like hardy heron 8.04. very solid OS.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

The desktop version is the one you want for most PCs. There are 3 editions of Ubuntu available: Desktop which is for most desktops and laptops, Netbook Remix which is used for netbooks and for other Atom powered devices, finally there is the Server edition which is used for servers.

Posted Image

#4 moris

moris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

alright ty everyone also do you know if 64 bit is better than 32 bit?

#5 Random Alec

Random Alec

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:29 AM

64-bit is only better if you have a lot of Ram. If you have more than 2Gbyte ram, you may be able to use it better. But generally speaking for everyday users there is no particular advantage to 64-bit.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

I'm running regular Ubuntu 10.04 on my Acer Aspire One netbook -- not the Netbook Edition -- for a few months, now. It works fine. The Netbook Edition arranges applications, etc., for a smaller screen -- but I need reading glasses, anyway, so the smaller, "more crowded" layout suits me fine! :thumbsup:

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

well, it depends, like its mentioned if your running 3 or more gigs of ram, you will need 64 bit for better use, as a 32 bit OS will only recognize between 3.25 and 3.75 gigs of Ram. Another advantage is a 64 bit OS will make better use of your 64 bit processor, but if your not running a lot of CPU intensive programs, you probably wont recognize any difference there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

With a Linux Kernel having Physical Address Extension a 32bit Linux Kernel can use more then 3Gigs.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-...ation-solution/

Edited by cryptodan, 10 September 2010 - 01:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users