Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Security Approach

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeagle

Jeagle

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

I believe, it's been almost a year since rating security software was addressed. As far as the best way to use it I don't know if its ever been posted and going through all the posts is not practical.

This is for All !
How to best use security software for your PCs protection

I'm always getting asked: "What's the best way to protect my computer"

Obviously my answer is " Don't ever use it, let anyone else use it, leave it unpowered, and in the box!"

Now all kidding aside I am a Home grown IT guy have been helping friends, family, and customers since 1983 I know it 's a long time ago, just letting you know when I took my first computer course.
Lately I have been overwhelmed and underpaid and would like you all to weigh in on the latest security software. I know this could be set up many ways and don't really care if someone wants to organize it I just need the information presented in a helpful and constructive way.
Could break it up to different categories like free, paid, one for all ( security packages), multiple programs (which ones), just AV, just antimalware, none, ( just online scans every once in a while ) etc.
I believe another approach might be more helpful, if we break it up into skill level that might afford a place to start, for instance NewBs, Novices, Amateurs, Pros, IT's. I don't really know just would like folks to post their ideas approaches and reasoning.
When I advise someone I always ask (if I don't know) what their skill level is and what they use their computer for. This usually dictates my reply, along with how much time and money do they want to invest.
So if I could get some feedback as lately with Win 7 out and some of my clients still on Win98se I am finding I don't have the time to test or research all of the options out there. I also find that it's too hard to tell if ratings are legit and unbiased perhaps as with the internet as it is these days it's an impossible question!
On my personal PCs I am testing trials of the major players and running older versions of NOD32, Symantec CS, Norton AV, SAV, and I have one with no protection. I use it for OPC's ((other peoples computers) I have an Image I restore before each clients interaction. I use online scanners after pulling their hardrives and cloning them before I work on cleaning them. It costs some more time but I never lose anything) and if someone gives me a problem I can always restore their PC to it's original state and return it.

:thumbsup: Sorry I posted way too much and got off track. Please ignore my ramblings and post as you see fit
please give reasons for your choices so others may benefit.

Thanks in advance for your time thoughts and considerations! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. Other factors to consider include effectiveness, user friendliness, ease of updating, ease of installation and removal. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

Independent comparatives of Anti-virus Software <- click on the "Comparatives" link on the left
TopTen Review: AntiVirus Software Product Comparisons
NerdModo's Top 10 Antivirus Software
gizmo's Best Free Antivirus Software
AntiVirus Software Comparative Malware Removal Tests
Avira vs avast! vs AVG: A comprehensive comparison

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection. Always remember that security begins with the user.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator, etc. will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, competing tools may provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing as a result of the overlap in protection.

If using multiple real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc.) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. They may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. Further, your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while these programs are scanning (reading) files, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning engine, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. The anti-virus may even detect as threats, any malware removed by these programs and placed into quarantined areas. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts or false alarms that continually warn a threat has been found if the contents of the quarantine folder are not removed before beginning a new security scan.

Keep in mind that you can overkill a system with resource heavy security programs that will slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combination for your particular system.

Supplement your anti-virus by performing scans with trustworthy security tools like:For a list of more tools, please see Bleeping Computer's:You can also get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan like:I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and taking advantage of the Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

Security reading resources:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users