Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digitizing Negatives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bent Club

Bent Club

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

What would be the best way to do this ? have them done by someone , or is there a good quailty machine i could buy ?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

What would be the best way to do this ? have them done by someone , or is there a good quailty machine i could buy ?
Thanks

I used to use an epson rx600 to digitize some of my negatives and it did a really good job but it is bulky and was expensive for its time. I'm sure there are higher quality negative scanners out now, I would try to search around for some and then contact photo places and compare the cost.

The other thing you want to check is the type of negatives you have (size) as I had some older negatives that were in squares, rather than the rectangular strip. Some negative scanners can only do one or the other.

Good luck!

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

You didn't mention the format, which is critical. The most common is 35mm -- there are several options. For any other format -- 120, 620, APS, etc. -- you are probably going to be limited to commercial services. I'm also going to assume you're using a Windows computer.

I use two scanners. The Epson Perfection V300 is a standard, flat bed scanner with a film insert. It does a very good job at scanning, is reasonably fast, and comes with good software -- although most third party software works fine. I've had this for a year, so a newer model may be available. Also, the slide/film carrier feels flimsy and I don't think Epson sells replacements.

I also have a Pacific Image Prime-Film 3650U 35mm film/slide scanner. This does a better job, but scans one image at a time so it's slower. (It does a great job with 35mm slides.) I've had this scanner for 3 years or so, and I'd look for a newer model if I was in the market today.

No matter which route you take, scanning film/slides is time consuming, and will almost certainly require some editing in the computer to balance color, "remove" dust specks, etc. Don't assume you're going to be zipping through shoe boxes of old negatives in an evening.

Edited by Capn Easy, 13 September 2010 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users