Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer boots, but there's no image in my display

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ran-K

Ran-K

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

It's a desktop computer with onboard video, a 400W power supply, 40GB IDE HDD, P4 3.0GHz processor, and 512MB RAM.

I turn it on, it seems to boot correctly, processor fan on, power supply fan on, hard drive booting, but there's no image on display in the monitor. It's a Dell monitor, which has a green light when it's displaying something, and an orange light when there's nothing (or when it's hibernating). Well, it had the orange light, with no image. I tried with another monitor, and nothing.

Tried adding a PCI-Express video card and nothing.

I'm not sure what it could be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You have tried two different monitors and two different video cards and both failed to display an image.

Are you hearing the POST beep at start up and if so, is it just one quick beep?

Can you give us any idea when this problem started happening and basic idea what was going on on the computer the last time it produced a image on the display?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

I don't hear any beeps, but I've never heard beeps before. I just checked and there's no speaker anywhere.

The last time I was using it, I opened up MSN Messenger, check my email, and turned it off.

The very next day I went to turn it on, and this happened. It's been like this ever since.

Is it possible that it's the PSU?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

It may be possible, perhaps one of the rails in the power supply has failed.

Here is what you should do.

First disconnect the AC power plug from the power supply.

Open the computer case.

Before touching anything inside the computer case place one hand on the metal frame of the computer tower. This discharges any possible static electricity from your body.

Carefully trace the wiring harnesses from the PSU (power supply) to the motherboard.

There should be a 20 or 24 pin connector and a 4 pin connector.

For extra added support, I am supplying a link to a web site, that has pictures and pin descriptions that should help guide you on what to look for.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucompat/compat.html

you should read through the pages on that web site, it has support for both power supplies and video card problems.

What I would like you to do is disconnect the 20/24 (depends on PSU if its 20 or 24) and reconnect it to the power port, make sure it is firmly pressed down and locked into place.

Do the same with the 4 PIN 12 Volt connector if your motherboard has one.

Make sure your motherboard is not shorting out anywhere, this includes the stand offs, screws or face plates on expansion cards. (Sometimes these can be making a connection to the motherboard if they are not properly put into place.)

Make sure your RAM has not become the victim of oxidation, remove each RAM stick one at a time and carefully but firmly return each to the slot, making sure they click into place at both ends.

When using an add-in card, make sure it is firmly locked into place and making full contact across the whole slot.

Make sure the monitor is correctly inserted into the VGA port and that no pins are bent, or missing.

Check the motherboard over carefully for anything that looks un-usual, loose, burnt or charred.

Check the condition of all the electrolytic capacitors across the motherboard. For more information on bad caps, here are three links to help you understand how bad caps can cause various problems.

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://pc-medic.blogspot.com/2006/10/leaking-capacitors.html

If you have any other expansion cards installed, remove them from the slot, then return them again. Again we are trying to disturb any possible oxidation build up on connections.

Disconnect the mouse and keyboard and plug them back into their slots.

Disconnect the power wires to all hard drives, optical drives and floppy drive and plug them back in again just as they were originally.

Disconnect the SATA or E-IDE/PATA data cables from each hard drive or optical drive and plug them back in again.

Do the same on the motherboard end with the cables I just had you disconnect from the drives.

Please make sure all connections are secured and fully making contact with their connections.

Once you are finished, please recheck your work carefully, because we are about to re-apply AC power and try a test run of your computer.

Once you are sure everything looks secure and there is nothing over-looked, reconnect the AC power plug to your computers power supply and press the power on button on the front of the computer case.

It is my hope that your monitor will display the POST screen.

Please let me know how this has turned out and please take your time doing the above procedures, be patient and be safe.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 10:00 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:33 AM

Ok, I did all that, and connected the monitor to the PCI-Express video card I'd added, and it worked! It even beeped this time.

I can see the image (although it looks really bad, I'm guessing since I still need the new video card's drivers). There's still a few problems though:

1) Starting Windows, whether it's choosing safe mode or normal, gets me nowhere. You get the usual Windows XP loading screen, then a black screen, then a VERY quick blue screen (not the usual BSOD), and I can barely read something about memory. It's literally a second long. So I can't access my drive yet.

2) I put a Windows XP cd, and an Ubuntu cd too, and tried to boot from the cd/dvd drive, but it didn't work. It takes me straight to the Windows XP loading screen. And I know the cd/dvd drive is reading the discs, since I can see and hear it.

#6 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

Tried the HDD and the power supply in another computer, and they worked, so I guess I can scratch that from the list.

One question, if it's the RAM, could that be the reason why the onboard video card wasn't giving any image?

#7 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

Installed new RAM stick: Now I get image out of the onboard video, however I still have these problems:

- Whenever I boot, it still doesn't get past that Windows XP screen without rebooting after that quick blue screen message.
- I can't boot any disc from the cd/dvd drive. If I select it, it just goes to the Windows XP loading screen.

I know the memory's good, the PSU is good since I tried it in two other computers.

Might be the HDD or the motherboard? Here's a quick video to illustrate what's happening, with a few screens of my BIOS options too:

#8 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

The error says:

c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file):
/SystemRoot/System32/Config/SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

This is regarding your attempt to boot to a CD or DVD.

The reason the Windows splash screen is loading instead of the computer booting from the disk is for the following reason.

You have to go to your computers BIOS setup utility, look for a menu called BOOT, or BOOT MENU.

You have to switch the order around so the drive that the disk is in is selected as the first boot device, save the changes in your BIOS setup and exit.

When the computer reboots, look for the words hit any key to boot from CD or DVD and hit any key on the keyboard.

The computer should now boot from the CD or DVD.

Bruce.

#10 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

This is regarding your attempt to boot to a CD or DVD.

The reason the Windows splash screen is loading instead of the computer booting from the disk is for the following reason.

You have to go to your computers BIOS setup utility, look for a menu called BOOT, or BOOT MENU.

You have to switch the order around so the drive that the disk is in is selected as the first boot device, save the changes in your BIOS setup and exit.

When the computer reboots, look for the words hit any key to boot from CD or DVD and hit any key on the keyboard.

The computer should now boot from the CD or DVD.

Bruce.

I did that, and the words to press any key never appear. I pressed keys anyway but the same thing happened.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

Open your computer and disconnect the data cable going to your optical drive in question, re-connect it, making sure it is firmly in place.

Do the same for the optical drives power connecter as well.

Re-boot the computer, enter your BIOS set up utility, make sure the optical drive is detected, save the settings and exit, allow a re-boot, see if you see the words press any key boot from cd or dvd.

If you do not see this or the drive won't boot from the disk, you may have a problem related to the laser inside the drive, it may either need cleaning or the laser or controller board in the drive has a non-repairable failure.

Bruce.

#12 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:17 AM

...it could be BIOS; if display connection isn't set in BIOS - it won't show you the screen.

#13 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Open your computer and disconnect the data cable going to your optical drive in question, re-connect it, making sure it is firmly in place.

Do the same for the optical drives power connecter as well.

Re-boot the computer, enter your BIOS set up utility, make sure the optical drive is detected, save the settings and exit, allow a re-boot, see if you see the words press any key boot from cd or dvd.

If you do not see this or the drive won't boot from the disk, you may have a problem related to the laser inside the drive, it may either need cleaning or the laser or controller board in the drive has a non-repairable failure.

Bruce.

That didn't work. I put the HDD in another computer and formatted the drive. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:54 PM

Okay, I'll be watching this thread if you need futher assistance.

Best of luck and hope all works out for you. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

#15 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

Ok here's the update:

The drive boots great in safe mode, and safe mode with networking. I can shut it down just fine. Whenever I try to boot normally, it either locks up during the de XP loading screen, or it boots into XP, but hangs when I try to restart or shutdown (it hangs during the "saving your settings" part).

To me it sounds like it could be either the PSU or driver conflicts maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users