Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost admin bios password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmumma

cmumma

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

A college purchased a phase out dell latitude C810 with Win 2000 pro; from his company for personal use. The bios Admin password prompt comes up before windows boots as follows: "This computer system is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password. Please type in the primary or administrator password and hit enter." Since this is not the regular windows user password the exec that last used it has not idea what this password could be. F-2 or F-12 does not get past this prompt to be able to boot from disk. The intention is to format the drive and load a new op sys. Can someone please help me get past or around this pw?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:19 PM

It sounds like a Dell bios password? I ran into a similar system and had to call Dell to get into bios on one of their business model computers, it took some convincing to finally get into it.

If it was set by the companies IT department then I would try them, since the laptop was legally obtained, right?

Otherwise you have to disconnect the reserve battery and that's a job for a professional.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 cmumma

cmumma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

Thanks,

It was purchased legally. My friend works for the company and they offered them for sale when phasing in new models.
I'm not a pro but I'm savvy. He asked me to give this a try. I had assumed I could boot from CD ROM and load xp pro.

cmumma

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

The company or dell should supply the bios password, if not then the battery that supplies the power to store that is really a
bear to dissconnect.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

It is against the policy of BleepingComputer to provide information on methods to reset or bypass the Administrator password. Though your question is most likely legitimate, there are others who may read this topic and use the information for less savory reasons. It is for these reasons we do not provide this type of information.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message or an email. Thank you for your understanding.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
BleepingComputer Forums Moderator

Reference: BleepingComputer Board Rules

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 September 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users