Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Struggling to get wireless N speeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 agorjest

agorjest

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hello,
I have a HP pavillion dv2915nr laptop, and I just replaced the built-in wireless G card with a wireless N capable Intel 4965AGN mini-PCIe card (it has 3 antenna ports but my laptop only has 2 wires, but I've read that you don't need to be using all 3 antennae to get N speeds).
I have a Netgear WNDR3300 dual band N router, set to "Up to 270 mbps at 2.4 GHz" mode, channel 11.
I also have a separate D-Link DAP-16522 wireless bridge that connects my desktop PC, NAS drive, and print server to the wireless network. The laptop, of course, connects wirelessly direct to the Netgear router.
I'm getting an excellent signal and a stable connection and it works fine for internet use. But the reason I upgraded to wireless N is for home network video streaming, and currently I'm getting no more than 15 mbps throughput on files I transfer from the NAS drive to my wireless laptop. Also, when I view the status of my laptop's wireless connection, it never shows more than the maximum G speed of 54 mbps.
I am not expecting anywhere near the advertised 300 mbps wireless N speeds, but since I paid for N equipment, I'd like a little more bang for the buck than I'm getting now. I've tried numerous tweaks- changing the security and other router settings, moving router and laptop around, etc. I have even tried a separate USB wireless N adapter and I'm still getting only G speeds. Any ideas on why I'm not getting N speeds? Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

Is that "15mbps" 15mbps or 15mB/s ? Big difference, and if it's 15mB/s you're getting N speed.

If it is really 15mbps;
-Check and make sure either the network adapter or router is not set to operate in G-only mode. Also, sometimes if you have other things on the N network that connect at G speed, it limits the speed to everything connecting to G speeds(max 54mbps).

#3 agorjest

agorjest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

Is that "15mbps" 15mbps or 15mB/s ? Big difference, and if it's 15mB/s you're getting N speed.

If it is really 15mbps;
-Check and make sure either the network adapter or router is not set to operate in G-only mode. Also, sometimes if you have other things on the N network that connect at G speed, it limits the speed to everything connecting to G speeds(max 54mbps).

Thanks for the response, NpaMA.
It is definitely 15 mbps- takes about 15-20 minutes to transfer a 1 GB movie file. Router is set to the setting "Up to 270 mbps at 2.4 Ghz". The bridge is wireless N dual-band capable, so I would think it would operate in the same mode and band as the router?

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

Motorola Surfboard
Netgear Wireless n 3700 dual band 2.4/5ghz

I have a 6mb Cable internet line, on a wireless N card i get 12mbps, which is 1569 kb/s or 1.5 mb/s, same on my iphone 3gs.

Wired i get 24mbps so 3mb/s.

I have a Surfboard capable of 36 mbps, the standard Docis 2.0

The surfboard extreme has docis 3.0 capable of approx. 160 mpbs.

What your hardware can do and what your internet feed is giving you are hardly ever the same.

I just had my Cable wiring re-wired to feed my Modem's cable line the best connection in the house, the rest of the cable ports are run off of splitters and lose signal strength.

Is your isp a cable company? ask a tech to come out and find which port ahs the best connection, and either move your gear, or have him re-route the power with a "in" - "out" switch to give you direct feed from the sourse to your house without losing signal besides 2db per 100ft of wire. Then he splits the rest for weaker signals. If your running a splitter in your house, use a good 3.5/3.5db split. but recommend not splitting the connection that goes to your modem.

goto speedtest.net and check your wireless connection. then run the same test directly wired to your modem, you can see the difference in speeds, and go from there. Also they have a ping test on the site, checks the packet loss, mine was 6% loss wirelessly, and 0% wired. so that maybe another thing to consider.

Now dual band routers run on 2.4ghz and 5ghz. You can turn off the 2.4ghz if you want, 5ghz would be a stronger signal, it just depends what interference there is, if you use 5ghz cordless phones, that would interfer now n then. same with 2.4ghz phones, and other routers near your house if your picking up there signal to.

Dual Band also means that the router, when both bands are running, can give, in your case, full connection speed to two devices before splitting its output. your dual band should give 270/8 or up to 33mb/s which is well within the wireless g 54 mb/s range, but of course your not getting those speeds unless your ISP provides you with it.

The N speeds are for wired connections, and whether you have 10/100 or gigabit 10/100/1000 ports on the router and devices. you wont see 150mbps which is N starting speed, or 300 with the top end, with wireless.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users