Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is XP HDD file recovery possible in Win7 64-bit

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ErinC

ErinC

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

Can I use an IDE/SATA adapter to mount an XP HDD and recover the files from it? OR should I just drop it off at MicroCenter with $60 and have them do it and hope for the best? LOL

Will Win7 read the NTFS files (I guess that's what the problem is, judging by info on the internet)?

I have tried an IDE to USB adapter and that didn't work. Device Manager sees the HDD and labels it correctly with manuf name and such, but it doesn't show up in My Computer to actually view files. This happened on both my Win7 desktop and Vista laptop. Same story on both machines. I tried Disk Doctor and another file recovery program with the USB adapter, but neither found anything on the disk. Disk Doctor actually SAW the disk, though.

Here's the background: This is an XP HDD that the MBR was corrupted and I have not been able to get it to boot. I was working with someone on this board to do that, but nothing worked. I believe BOTH CDrom drives are not working properly or the computer just won't recognize the disks. I've tried 2 different XP disks as well as a Linux ISO disk. Can't get into the BIOS to set it to boot from USB, so using a jump drive Linux ISO isn't an option. I backed up this disk, but hadn't backed it up in over a year because it quit working with my WD external drive. I know I should have backed up another way, but like many who lose their precious data, I hesitated and lost. Just been too overwhelmed with life for a year to deal with it like I should have.

Hoping buying the IDE/SATA adapter will be the solution.

Thanks for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:43 PM

I am not sure what you have already tried, but it would be helpful if you posted a link to your previous thread.

So I am going to ask a question that your previous post would most likely answer.

Have you tried putting the Windows XP hard drive in as a slave drive in the computer with Windows 7? Or at least as SATA1 if SATA and Windows 7 as SATA0?

You should be able to see all the files, folders and directories while using Windows 7 as the boot drive.

I am not sure why your optical drives are not reading the disk, it also depends on what type of hardware the drives are, in other words, are they IDE or SATA?

IDE/E-IDE/PATA drives have to be set as master and slave if they are hooked up to the same IDE data cable.

The IDE to SATA card you plan on purchasing should work, to gain access to the drive, make sure you follow the instruction manual that comes with the board, there may be drivers you will have to install for the card to work properly, each IDE to SATA board has its own procedure for proper setup.

You may receive a cdrom disk that has a manual on it, make sure you read the manual and any read me files that pop up during the installation, you may have to load drivers before the card is installed.

Failure to read the installation and setup instructions carefully, will result in not being able to see the hard drive as a hard drive, I have seen this happen when cards like this are being used to retrieve data from a hard drive.

What card if any do you plan on purchasing? If you have one in mind please post a link to it, so we can check it out and offer some decent advice and suggestions.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 02:45 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ErinC

ErinC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

Original thread is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic338845.html I was working with Quietman7 on ridding the XP of a bootkit. Upon trying the method he suggested a second time (on my own, but being absolutely sure to choose the correct options), it corrupted the MBR and now won't boot at all.

As far as connecting the XP HDD to the Win7 computer, I have only tried that with the IDE to USB adapter. That resulted in it seeing the HDD in device manager, but not my computer.

I thought perhaps a direct SATA to IDE adapter instead of the USB would work. This is the one that is available locally:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0287131

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

This adaptor has a female IDE connecter, that has to connect directly to the motherboard's IDE port. Just make sure it has enough clearance with other motherboard components. :huh:

As long as that is not a problem, you should be able to use this card.

Let me check through your other thread and I'll see if i can figure out a way for you to possibly repair your MBR.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ErinC

ErinC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. This adapter is supposed to go to the motherboard and not on the drive? I have an IDE HDD and SATA connectors in my computer (specs here):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...667&lang=en

I thought this adapter would connect the back of the drive, which is a 40-pin connection, and allow me to plug the SATA connector from the motherboard into it. The XP drive is a Samsung SP1644N - it says 160GB/7200rpm/2M/PATA on it, but in the device manager it shows up as IDE 133 when connected with the USB adapter mentioned above.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks I stand corrected, you are correct, this card would attach to the drive not the motherboard. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Now I need to ask you what the story is with your optical drives.

You said that if you put the Windows XP disk into an optical drive and attempt to boot from it, it does not boot from the disk, is this correct?

I am going to attempt to get you up and going and I will stay active in this thread for the time being if you have the time.

Bruce.

#7 ErinC

ErinC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

I have some time, can try whatever you suggest.

#8 ErinC

ErinC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

To get started, the message I get when I boot up the computer says "Disk Book Failure, insert system disk and press enter."

I inserted the XP Sp1a disk (that's all I have)

Press enter

It says "boot from cd:"

thenthe boot disk failure comes back up.

Put in Damn Small Linux ISO disk and press enter.

It says "boot from cd:"

thenthe boot disk failure comes back up.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

Okay is your Windows XP SP1a disk scratched in any way?

Also in your BIOS setup utility, do you have the optical drive set as the first boot device in the BOOT menu of your BIOS setup menus?

Add-in: Also make sure you save the settings before exiting the BIOS setup utility.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 05:50 PM.

#10 ErinC

ErinC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

The disk has minor scuffing, but nothing major. The drive in Win7 desktop appears to be able to read it.

I could not get into BIOS setup. When I turn on the computer, it brings up a logo page. There is no instruction on getting into bios from there. I've tried all of the function keys, tab, escape, delte, pause. Nothing seems to work to get into BIOS. Is there a way to get into there from the Disk boot error?

#11 ErinC

ErinC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

I actually did get into BIOS this time. It's a delete key, but you have to press it AFTER that screen goes away.

CMOS recognizes the Samsung IDE Channel 0 Master with 160 G capacity. It also shows an IDE Channel 1 MASTER Sony CD-RW.

BIOS shows CDRom as first boot device, floppy as second (I don'[t have a floppy drive), and hard disk as third.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Okay make sure you have the Windows XP disk in the correct drive.

I also need to ask if this Windows XP disk is a genuine copy or a duplicate copy of an original disk?

Your drive should read the disk unless it has burn flaws, which can happen with copied disks.

If your drive is failing to read the disk, there may be a problem with the drives laser, sometimes those lasers pick up dust particles from dirty disks.

You may need to use a disk designed to clean lasers, they resemble a regular cdrom and have brushes on the surface that the laser reads.

Bruce.

#13 ErinC

ErinC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

It's a copied disk. I think it's hopeless. I can't imagine both drives would be bad, so it must be the disk. Can't figure out why Linux won't boot either, though.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I think the adapter card will be my best bet. If that doesn't work, I'll just take my drive and my external backup drive (which now works on the Win7 computer - yeah!!!) to MicroCenter and have them get the data off, hopefully it will work.

Thanks for your help!

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

Your are welcome and I hope the best for you.

The problem might be the media you used to burn the image on, I have seen some disks brand new out of the package that have issues with drives.

Keep us posted please.

Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users