Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probel Setting Up New Hp All-in-one Printer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

I am attempting to do what should be a super-simple setup of a new HP PSC 1510 All-in-One on my HP Compaq laptop, which has Windows XP Home w/SP2. The installation wizard fails when it can't find this file under C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. I seem to have this file (don't know if it's really the same though) under C:\I386\SP2.CAB and C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab. I tried pointing to these addresses during the install, but it still says the file isn't found. I have searched all the Help Screens I can find, requested assistance from HP (with no-help email reply), and I'm stuck.

I really need to use this printer and hope that maybe somebody here has run into this problem and can help me out. This seemed like it should be SOOOOOOO easy. arrrgghhhhhhh!

In case it helps at all, the only other USB thing I'm using on the laptop is a Logitech Mouse. I'm using a Belkin USB 2.0 Cable - 6' - 1.8m to connect them (which is what the guy at the store said I needed).

Am I missing something really easy here?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

If you think you have the same driver in another location, just right click the driver file and copy it, then paste it into the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers" location that you mentioned above. It's worth a try. If that don't work, try a google search for the driver you are missing and manually add it with the copy/paste as above.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:32 PM

Hi dazedandconfused,

I have had issues with HP printers failing to install. Just curious... did you install the software and then plug the printer in. That is where I screwed up. The hardware wizard found it immediately after I did that. I also was told to TEMPORARILY disable anitvirus products - just long enough to install the printer.

Just a thought...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:33 AM

From what I read if you use Windows Explorer to look at that cab file C:\I386\SP2.CAB
- you can double-click it to open the contents. To extract the file you're interested in (usbccgp.sys) just drag'n'drop it to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder. Click there to check the file is present.

See if that helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 08 November 2005 - 01:35 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:33 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciated the advice.

After several iterations of trying again, having it not find a file and then locating it and copying it to where the install wizard "expected" it to be, I was finally able to print out my document. :thumbsup: The only other bump in the road was a notification that Microsoft hadn't approved it for XP, even though the install disc and all the paperwork said the printer would work with XP.

The bottom line is that I was able to print out what I needed for my class, which starts in an hour!

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

That's good news! Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Microsoft hadn't approved it for XP

Hmmm... There are a lot of things Microsoft haven't approved... In my opinion, in the context of a major manufacturer like HP, this means next to nothing and I wouldn't give it a moments thought.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users