Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuild from the ashes....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Hi all!

I kept my vintage Dell limping along as best I could but it hit a wall hard, real hard, now onto something else. I only need best access to internet surfing [only dialup is available!] plus the old AUTO-CAD LT1/LT2 graphics if possible; that was written for Windows 3.1 & 16Mb RAM, so little is needed to run it.

I can't access it right now but it's a Dell Optiplex GX110, with Pentium III 847Mhz, 2 @ 256 DDR Ram [but only showed 384], and pretty sure it's an IDE hard drive, or EIDE. To do anything, I first must be able to somehow use that old drive in the new machine as slave to extract files & also as an archive, so new Mobo would need IDE capabilities. I need another HDD for master, not real huge because of such limited uses.

Hoping to build with a couple of pieces at a time. Already have several ATX or mini-ATX cases, and smallish PSU's, maybe 200-250W or so, but upgrade PSU later? That is if I can run this newer stuff on one of the old PSU until later.

We're talking 'Budget Build', like "Budget, what budget??" So it looks like an AMD processor. I like the giant killer philosophy and they build a very good piece for the price. I suppose dual core would do me, but? I've had good experience with Gigabyte, MSI & Asus boards. Looking at roughly $125-$150 for board & CPU?

Would like plenty of memory eventually, but hopefully expanding, first using my currect DDR sticks. Already have optical drives, keyboard, monitor etc. so mainly just chassis hardware is needed. From the above, I guess that means motherboard, processor & hard drive to start with? Suggestions appreciated, including going in a different direction if you see something I don't....?

Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

Ooopppsss, I see from my own sig in the post it isn't DDR Ram but rather SDRAM! Sorry, I don't mind the getting old, it's the getting stupid part that bothers me...
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

Sooo...what's the real budget?

Generally speaking...Tiger Direct is likely to be a better choice of alternatives than Newegg (IMO) when it comes to older boards/CPUs that still have value. My impression is that Newegg doesn't intend to carry such boards in inventory, other than those for Atom processors.

Finding a CPU/motherboard/RAM combo for $150...I suppose it can be done. Example of possibilities: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2417

I know that some don't think much of ECS boards...but I've had a few and have nothing bad to say about them. I've also had a few Asus boards and I tend to think that they are somewhat overrated, while their Asrock boards are probably underrated.

In any case, I suggest looking at the two sites mentioned for ideas.

Louis

#4 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Thank you, sir, as usual hah!

I value your advice. I like New Egg but get frustrated by their programming, considering they're in the business afterall. They make it harder than it should be to peruse their products, with dead links, or can't open pages in new window to compare items side by side, or links taking you to the wrong item etc. Bummer on dialup to wait for all those pages to load, get bounced around the block and then have to remember everything instead of direct comparison. So I went to Tiger Direct whom I've done good business with before. Their pages work.

Problem is I don't really know what I'm looking at. I understand much of the basics but quickly lost on the more complex technical. Especially what truly works with what.

I can't actually give a real overall budget as it's going to have to be built a piece or two this month, a piece next etc. I guess I'll just have to try to shop what I think I need and hope for the best.

Thanks!

#5 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

I checked the hard drive in the wounded computer: Hitachi HDS728080Plat20 ATA/IDE
83 Gb, date January 2005, P/N 0A30210. That's the drive I'd need to run as slave to pick info off of, after making sure it's not infected.

Found two incredibly cheap barebones at Tiger Diret. Opinion of best between the two? And can I stick my HDD in either or both of these?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;sku=B69-0234

Looks like this one below with 1 IDE header & 2 Serial ATA headers would accept my Hitachi drive?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;sku=B69-0226

Thanks all...

Edited by Spectacle, 07 September 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

If you tell me your budget and what you do on the machine, then i can build you a system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users