Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Process Explorer Help Guide

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smak451

smak451

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hey guys -- With great pride I just started to delve a little deeper into the inner workings of this machine by downloading cool looking apps like Process Monitor, Process Explorer, Autoruns, TcpView etc. from the Sysinternals site only to hit an immediate snag -- I can't access the help files! I used 7zip to unpack the "Compiled HTML Help file" which is called procmon.chm which then produced procmon.chw but I don't know how to link it to the programs so I can look through their Help Guides. I googled it before coming here and I only come up with the fact it's an out-moded form of MS Help file that is particularly prone to infection. How do I set up the help files to learn how these programs work?

Also, if you know of any good tutorials on Process Monitor & Process Explorer (or any of the security -related Sysinternals programs) please let me know. Thanks so much, Cheers, -- S :thumbsup:

Edited by smak451, 07 September 2010 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

When I extract (unzip) Process Monitor to its own folder, there are three files: Procmon.exe, procmon.chm and the Eula.txt. Double-clicking on procmon.chm from within the folder opens the help Contents and Index.

The same goes with Process Explorer, there are three files and double-clicking procexp.chm opens help.

Opening the .chm files directly from the folder should work but opening from within the program itself requires that the .chm file be located in the same folder. If using a shortcut on the Desktop to start procexp.exe, procmon.exe, etc, the start folder must also contain the .chm file. If you just place the .exe file on the Desktop or use it for a shortcut, the help file will not open.

These links explain in more detail:Specific discussion of all Sysinternals Utilities can be found here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

That explains it -- works great now; and once again I am in your debt kind Sir. I will gladly make a donation to Unite as a token of my sincere appreciation. Cheers, -- S

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

You're welcome and thank you for the kind words. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif