Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pohhop

pohhop

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

HP Evo D31u/P2 4/60/k/256Ac, motherboard model 6541. P4 2.4,256 ram (desktop)

We installed XP SP3, loaded ok, shut it down in the proper way, next day we booted it, it bleeps and the num lock light is on, (signs and notes) say its the memory, we've changed the memory with several others (All working) this memory works in other machines ok.

We've washed the board, clean the memory pins, still bleeps.

Any ideas? do we file it under B.

Thanks in antisipation.

Pohhop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am unclear as to which HP computer you have, so for clarity can you please point me to the exact model you have from this web site.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support_task.html

Also can you please post the model number of the RAM modules you have been trying to use with this motherboard.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If you can, look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown. If there are multiple errors, show the one that is repeated the most.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

There are some things that should be looked at before installing SP3, this Microsoft article outlines some of these prerequisites.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

Add to link provided by dc3, HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01452495.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2010 - 11:37 AM.

#5 pohhop

pohhop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:03 AM

In answer to Bruces Q. the model is Evo D310 Desktop, the micro board is different, these are the details of the memory I've tried. The Manual on this model say it should be PC2100 266. The machine came with item no. 1.

Memory:
1. Korea 0251, PC2100U 25330 -0A M368L3223DTL CB0, 256mb DDR PC2100 CL2.5
2. 1Gb Dimm (PC2100) 282436-B21-HY, 25-11687A DK
3. Korea H 0412, PC2700U 25331 Z, M368L3223FTN CB3, 256 DDR PC2700 CL2.5

When we boot up, the fan comes on at high speed, stops, starts again (as to boot) then it gives 3 bleeps and the nums lock on the keyboard flashes, we cannot go any further.

The message on the screen say's, No signal.

The site suggested by Hamluis; Its a Desktop EVO 310 with Intel Processor.

I've taken the battery out for 24hrs. changed the jumpers still the same.

Thanks, any more ideas?

P

Edited by pohhop, 09 September 2010 - 05:05 AM.

#6 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

I just want to clarify what happened...

You started with a working system, installed XP SP3, then shut it down. The next day you go to power it up, and you get 3 beeps.
You then took the RAM from this computer and put it in another, and it worked.
Then you took known good RAM and put it in this machine, and it failed.
Finally, you reset the CMOS (by removing the battery), and it is still failing.

There are only two possible causes for this system failure based upon what you have said. The first (and most likely) is that the motherboard died on you. The fact that it happened after installing SP3 is just a coincidence.
The only other thing it could be is a flaky power supply. If you have a space, hook it up and see what happens. If it works, replace the PSU. If it doesn't, replace the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users