Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Free Space Acting Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SystematicChaos

SystematicChaos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:31 AM

I'm running Windows 7 with a 218GB hard disk. At one point I noticed that the hard disk space was significantly less than it should be. I deleted a few files and emptied the recycle bin, but the free filespace only decreased. After restarting, the filespace had gone down to less than a gigabyte. It was constantly fluctuating but would be consistently under a gigabyte. It also caused my computer to act very slow.

Per some suggestions that I found online, I downloaded i.Disk to see what was taking up all this space, and it showed up that I have 176GB used (which is much more accurate). But on Explorer, it still says I have only a few gigabytes left. So obviously something is wrong. I'm running a virus scan at the moment, but in the meantime does anyone know what is causing this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:56 AM

Check your system restore settings sounds like your shadow copies are multiplying and eating up you disk space.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 SystematicChaos

SystematicChaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

Tried deleting system restore points, but it said it was taking up 0 bytes and deleting them didn't change a thing. Also tried checking the disk, but it didn't work, and the virus scan came up with nothing.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

I would try defragging the hard drive.

Another question is do you have windows back up enabled and if you do, where is the back up being sent to?

Try typing MSCONFIG to see what programs are running.

Try going to the control panel, administrative tools, computer management, to see whats going on with your hard drive space.

You may also want to check what services are running.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

Try this delete all the temp files and boot at safe mode. See if the disk space changes.

Would by any change, would you have installed any kind of Virtual Application like VMWare or Virtual Box that may have been set to automatically allocate diskspace according to its requirements instead of fixed? Just wondering though. This happened to me while I have Virtual Box running and had set it to use any available space it needs. I forgot the settings though, I was just fiddling with it.
2nd job was lappy tech

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hmm? Very good point Kennzsniper, I didn't think about that.

Thank you for bringing that up.

I haven't used Norton 360, but was thinking about the time I had Norton system works installed on my computer years ago and it too used to use a large amount of disk space over a period of a few days.

So, your post now makes think about those types of programs as being the possible culprit for the consumption of disk space.

SystematicChaos do you have any such programs installed and running in the back-ground on your computer?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 September 2010 - 10:26 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Ricky John

Ricky John

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit).
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.
Additional requirements to use certain features:
Internet access (fees may apply).
Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware.
Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance.
For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required.
Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware.
HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7.
DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive.
BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2.
BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive.
Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM and an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space.
Music and sound require audio output.
Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.

PCs with multi-core processors:
Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):
Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.

#8 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

@ Ricky John,

The issue is not about windows 7 specific requirements. Its all about issues where in disk space mysteriously disappears without warning.

This kind of issue initially spawn during the first three days of release of then Windows Vista. Yes, I was there and about one of the first ones to discover that these OSes eat your HDD.

Also while were at it. Can SystematicChaos post the applications installed and listed under programs and features. This will surely lessen the troubleshooting time.
2nd job was lappy tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users