Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Starts Some Things 10 minutes After Start up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 acovarrub

acovarrub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:11 AM

I have a Gateway MX6445 Laptop, running Windows XP Media Center Edition (sp3). On start up it takes anywhere from7-12 minutes for the Wireless icon to appear in the system tray. When I click on internet explorer to open the browser, nothing happens. So at first I went to network connections in the control panel and clicked it and nothing happened. So I went to add/remove programs and it says, installed programs, but nothing is there. I also try to open Live Mail and it doesn't do anything. This all really makes no sense to me. I can open up everything else in control panel and it loads just fine. Everything else seems to be loading and working fine. I have also scanned for viruses and spyware. I defragmented the hard drive. I don't know what else to do, or what the problem could be. I have considered reinstalling windows to see if this fixes the problem. I really don't want to do that, because there are several programs I would lose (MS Office 2003, and a few other programs that I don't have disk for). I would really appreciate help. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

A start would be to run the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

The command will run and then the system will attempt to boot into XP upon command completion.

Error messages?

Louis

#3 John_Vestal

John_Vestal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hi, How much ram do you have? That's the first culprit. Press ctrl+alt+del and open task manager and check your performance tab to see how much of your computers resources are being used. You will also see what is running and how much ram they are using. You can r-click any of these and stop them from running, but, unless you know what exactly they are, you could freeze your computer. You should be able to recognize things like winzip, and crap like that that you don't need pre-loaded into memory.

If your cpu and ram usage looks high, you probably need to do an in-depth system cleaning...

Check your page file (virtual memory) settings, and google any of these things I'm talking about if you are unsure. Don't do anything without researching and knowing what you are doing, and more importantly, how to get yourself out of a jam if you get into one.

Startup programs, services you may not need loaded. I'd do a disk cleanup, scandisk, then defrag., uncheck programs not needed in msconfig., also check in msconfig., services running after you check box the "Hide microsoft services".

Manually clean your internet explorer cache and temp files along with all your windows temp files. I'd clean my prefetch folder and keep the last three days of files.

There is so-o much more you could do, just remember to do a backup, make a restore point before tweaking anything, and save a registry backup.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Can any of you members think of something right off that I've overlooked? :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance you all!

#4 acovarrub

acovarrub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hello, I do appreciate your help...I performed the disk check and there were not any errors. I have also done a disk defrag a couple of days ago, and several other things, and nothing seems to help. I am going to try a couple of other things that were suggested and see if that helps. I have no idea what the problem is. Thanks

#5 acovarrub

acovarrub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I have done everything that you suggested here and also the dsk chk, and my problem is still the same. The dsk chk came back with no errors. I don't know what else to do. I also noticed this morning that when I put in the usb connection for my wireless mouse, it doesn't detect it until the wireless comes on also (about 10 minutes after start up). But when I put in my flash drive, it detects that. That makes no sense to me. It shows that I have 920 mb ram installed (1 gb actually, but I know it always shows less), and 120 gb hard drive. I don't have many programs that start up. I suppose I have to live with this or reinstall windows. I don't know if that would help. Do you think that would fix the problem? There is no way to save my programs (MS Office 2003, ect.) if I reinstall windows, right? CPU Usage, with ie running is 85-90%, and PF Usage is .98 gb. Do you have anymore suggestions. I do appreciate you feed back.

Thanks

Hi, How much ram do you have? That's the first culprit. Press ctrl+alt+del and open task manager and check your performance tab to see how much of your computers resources are being used. You will also see what is running and how much ram they are using. You can r-click any of these and stop them from running, but, unless you know what exactly they are, you could freeze your computer. You should be able to recognize things like winzip, and crap like that that you don't need pre-loaded into memory.

If your cpu and ram usage looks high, you probably need to do an in-depth system cleaning...

Check your page file (virtual memory) settings, and google any of these things I'm talking about if you are unsure. Don't do anything without researching and knowing what you are doing, and more importantly, how to get yourself out of a jam if you get into one.

Startup programs, services you may not need loaded. I'd do a disk cleanup, scandisk, then defrag., uncheck programs not needed in msconfig., also check in msconfig., services running after you check box the "Hide microsoft services".

Manually clean your internet explorer cache and temp files along with all your windows temp files. I'd clean my prefetch folder and keep the last three days of files.

There is so-o much more you could do, just remember to do a backup, make a restore point before tweaking anything, and save a registry backup.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Can any of you members think of something right off that I've overlooked? :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance you all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users