Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade system!!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 swift06

swift06

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:26 PM

i am currently using HP pavilion a1020in...256mb ram

it works ok now but would like to upgrade my system....

can anyone give suggesions on following

motherboard, processor, RAM, sata HD combinations ?? i like the present computer case(silver):thumbsup:>>my budget price is about Rs.11000

will i get to upgrade system for that..

i like to have >>> core 2 duo or similar processor + 2gb ram or more :huh: what will be my best options ???

I never go back on my words.....BELIEVE IT !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:35 AM

The quickest way to speed up your computer would be to increase the amount of RAM.

Your computer has four slots for PC2-5300 RAM with a maximum of 1GB per slot. Crucial has 512MB modules for $18.99 (US dollars).

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...vilion%20a1020n

Your computer is capable of running dual channel which will help maximize the RAM's performance. In order to get the best results you need to purchase modules that are from the same manufacturer, and have identical specifications.

Unless you are running a 64-bit operating system your computer will only recognize about 3GB of RAM. Windows will tell you that it will recognize 4GB of RAM, but the reality is that the address space has a total of 4GB, and it shares this space with other hardware. Typically this mean that there is usually between 3.3GB and 3.5GB of address space left to recognize RAM.

Edited by dc3, 07 September 2010 - 12:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

I assume this is your PC and you are running on this motherboard. Suggestions depend on what you are going to be doing with this PC. If that is indeed your computer, your options are limited. However, adding more RAM should help. Since you are in India, I'm not sure which computer component retailers there are in your country.

Edited by DJBPace07, 07 September 2010 - 02:46 AM.

3939.png

#4 swift06

swift06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

i think of keeping only the case..... :thumbsup:

i need a core 2 duo/ similar processor.... and suitable motherboard :huh:

I think AMD & few Intel boards are available ...... what are my choices keeping a basic cost to Rs.10-12k :huh:

any ideas??

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,275 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

If you are only going to keep the case you will immediately be limiting what motherboards you can choose from since that case only accepts a Micro ATX form factor motherboard. Personally, I would keep this computer as is and sell it to help off set the cost of the new build. This case also is limited in expansion bays.

You can purchase a new ATX form factor case starting at about $35.00, for instance, look at this case at Newegg.

One of the advantages of a full size ATX case is that there are bundled motherboards, (motherboard and CPU) which can save you some money.

Edited by dc3, 08 September 2010 - 12:08 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 swift06

swift06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

ok ..ok
so what it will take to assemble an entire new cpu

core 2 duo/similar amd processor + suitable motherboard + sata hard disc + case(suitable) = ???

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

I'm not even sure a Core 2 Duo would even work with that motherboard, even if it is socket LGA 775. If you want to upgrade, you will probably have to buy a whole new CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. Problem is, that case is micro-ATX which will limit your choices. You may be better off, if you're planning on gaming or doing high performance tasks, reusing only the graphics card (If it is relatively new) and optical drives and building a new PC. Newegg does not ship to India so you will probably have to find a local retailer. I'm not sure, but ebuyer may ship there, it will probably be expensive though. According to a currency converter, 12000 Indian Rupees roughly equals $250 USD. You need several components for a PC, a power supply, a graphics card (Which can be integrated with the motherboard), motherboard, CPU, RAM, case, operating system, optical drive, and a hard drive.

Edited by DJBPace07, 07 September 2010 - 11:40 PM.

3939.png

#8 swift06

swift06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

@ DJBPace07
so what are my options for building a new cpu ??

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:56 PM

On that budget (12,000 INR is about $256 USD), there isn't much you can do since you will have to build a new system. Simply replacing the CPU (The processor actually inside the case) may not be possible since HP designed that system for Pentium 4 CPU's and not Core 2's. Therefore, the BIOS on the motherboard would be unable to run the new processor. The only option is to build, or buy, a new PC with an increased budget.

3939.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

Well...I'd say "newer" rather than "new".

IMO, lots of older systems now that may be do-able, as long as you are not into "latest/greatest syndome".

Some research is called for to wind up satisfied. Lots of CPUs/boards/RAM have come and gone since P4s.

Louis

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

Indeed it has, the PC the OP has was originally designed for Pentium 4's with an FSB of 533MHz. and DDR RAM. Since the Pentium 4 there as been Core, Core 2, then the i7, and the i5 and i3 line of processors. With RAM, there has been DDR2 and DDR3. There really isn't much left that can be done to that system except add some RAM.

3939.png

#12 swift06

swift06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

does adding RAM is better?? or i hav to buy a new one??

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

Adding more RAM should make it faster. According to HP, your PC shipped with a very low amount of RAM, 256MB. That PC is capable of using up to 4GB of RAM with 1GB installed in each of the memory slots. You need DDR-400 (PC 3200) RAM. Remember, you need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of memory.

3939.png

#14 swift06

swift06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

can i hav windows 7 in my system after increasing it to 2gb Ram??

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,275 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

System requirements for Windows 7.

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

At least this is what Microsoft professes. And Anna Nicole Smith married for love. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 10 September 2010 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users