Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk space c drive gone " poof" help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gonefishin

gonefishin

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

I was using returnil. I made a virtual drive with returnil to hold videos and mp3 music files on 64 gb big. I have now uninstalled returnil. problem is some thing has went wrong.
I ran disk defragmenter

disk defragmenter shows the following taking up 64 GB the following can not be defragmented

documents and settings\all users\application data\Returnil\
rvsystem.img

I went to documents and settings, clicked all users,
the folder "application data" is not in the all users folder

some thing happened when I uninstalled returnil it is still showing returnil using 64 GB of my C drive. it is like the virtual drive is still on my computer using up 64 GB of space only it is no longer on my computer.

please help I want my 64 GB disk space back

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

Application data is usually a hidden folder.

Unless you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files and folders, you will not see this folder.

Here is what you must do.

Go to MY COMPUTER

Click on drive C: and open the folder C:

Look for TOOLS in menu. Click it and choose FOLDER OPTIONS

Click the VIEW tab.

Look for SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and click the circle next to it.

Click APPLY and OK

Now you will see the folder APPLICATION DATA.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 September 2010 - 11:09 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 gonefishin

gonefishin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

Thanks Bruce

I followed your advice found the returnil folder and deleted it and got my disk space back

Again Thanks

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:05 AM

I am glad to hear we solved the problem together and you are very welcomed for my help!

Happy computing and thank you for choosing Bleepingcomputer for help and assistance! :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 RVS_MikeW

RVS_MikeW

Authorized Returnil Representative

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Bruce

I followed your advice found the returnil folder and deleted it and got my disk space back

Again Thanks

Hi gonefishin and others who may have the same question,

The supplemental virtual storage is actually just a very large file with special properties that forces Windows to see it as a new disk when it is opened (IOW, mounted by RVS/RSS). When it is closed (dismounted), the file cannot be opened by other programs and looks like nothing other than a big, empty file depending on the amount of data and/or files you have saved within it while in Virtual Mode.

The name of the file is rvsystem.img and can be found in the Application Data folder that Bruce helped you to see. While deleting the Returnil folder will do the same thing, it is recommended that you delete the file itself in case you plan to reinstall RVS/RSS in the future.

Before you attempt to delete the Virtual Disk file however, make sure you dismount it (close) in the RVS/RSS GUI first.

HTH
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users