Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tattoos and jobs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

I personally was thinking about getting a tattoo, something like an angel praying on my forearm. I was out with a couple of friends and we were all going too get them done and as soon as I walked into the tattoo parlor, I thought of the job repercussions.

I thought about this issue logically for a little bit, thinking certain jobs wouldn't care about such things, like if your sitting at a desk all day, but some do care for obvious reasons, like at a grocery store. Now I currently work at a call center for philips electronics. (Don't get me started on how "fun" it is.) Everyone there seems really cool but I haven't spotted anyone with a noticeable tattoo, so I wasn't sure on where the company stood with that kind of things.

Now, I am currently about too start college here in January, I am studying for a programming career. I was thinking that sitting at a desk all day, who cares if I had a tattoo or not? But then again, lots of people lack logic and basic intelligence so that had me a little worried about my decision.

Has any one experienced this problem? Does anyone have any specific stories about an unruly employer when it came too tattoos?

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 06 September 2010 - 09:43 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

I have worked a wide variety of jobs that had a wide variety of opinions on tattoos. Currently Im a truck driver, and Im finding that that job as well as most blue collar jobs, no one cares what you have for tattoos. Most of your white collar jobs look down on tattoos for various reasons, and retail, well most retail jobs Ive been on they frown upon visible tattoos, especially if they can be offensive in nature. Praying angel probably not so much. I personally don't have any tattoos, but it would be wise in my mind if you were to get one to get it on your upper arm, or someplace that can easily be covered up if need be if your ever in a job where tattoos are a bad idea, or at the very least make sure the tattoos that are clearly visible arnt in bad taste (foul language, nude women, etc) Anyway, thats just my two cents, and a lot probably depends on the area. Where Im at theyre becoming more and more common, but Im also in a very blue collar town.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Opinions on tattoos are as varied as the potential tattoo design possibilities. However most customer contact jobs will have some sort of policy about whats acceptable. You don't want to be offending someone's grandmother, while representing your employer. Not to be rude but remember, a praying angel today might look more like a dying dragon when you're 85. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users