Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Malware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bunnykins

bunnykins

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

a couple of hours ago my computer was infected with Antimalware Doctor. i'm not very computer-savvy, but i've done a bit of research and i downloaded malwarebytes to remove whatever virus or malware i have on my computer, and still when i try to start up my OS i get a blue screen saying something about windows cannot restart because of a software change. i ran a full system scan with malwarebytes and it found 29 infected items, but i restarted my computer, and i still get the blue screen.

i tried then restoring my system to the last known good configuration, and even that didn't work.

how do i get rid of this crap and make my computer functional again? :thumbsup:

Edited by bunnykins, 06 September 2010 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

To clarify:

Are you able to boot into Normal Mode?

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

I'm moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum for you for preliminary assistance.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 bunnykins

bunnykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

when i try to boot in any other mode but safe mode, i get the blue screen.

Edited by bunnykins, 06 September 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

It's good to know that you can boot into safe mode.

Since you are posting here, it seems you have access to another computer as well which is good. I hope you have removable media that will work on both computers. If not, please let me know. Otherwise, read the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you are unable to view the screen of the functioning computer while on the infected computer, you may wish to print them out as well. Download any programs it lists to that removable media. Now, plug that media into the infected computer. You will need to transfer the files from the removable media to the desktop in safe mode. Now, follow follow the instructions in the above guide. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them. Be sure to include the information that you produced the logs in Safe Mode because you are unable to boot into Normal Mode.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 bunnykins

bunnykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:14 AM

okay, an update: after a couple of hours of rooting out files that malwarebytes didn't get and removing recently installed programs i fixed the problem; my OS booted and seems to be working OK, ableit a tad slower than i'm used to. i don't know if everything's fine now or not; is there any way i can tell? programs i can use? anything?

edit: actually, it only looks normal. there are a lot of errors and glitches. since i 'fixed' the OS problem, i've had nothing but other minor problems. i can't start windows security center; i downloaded microsoft security essentials, but i can't get updates; i created another windows user account, but i can't do anything with it; i can't create an administrator password; i can't install windows updates; and i've found all that out in just the fifteen minutes i've been using my computer.

WTF

Edited by bunnykins, 07 September 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#6 bunnykins

bunnykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:14 AM

okay, well... after i thought i'd fixed everything i downloaded microsoft security essentials, and it found 2 viruses and i deleted them, rebooted my computer... and now it won't even boot in safe mode. :thumbsup: *cries*

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

@ adupuis,

I removed your post here as it's a duplicate of your own topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic345752.html It is not good to post your own problems in someone else's topic. It creates massive confusion for everyone.

Hello bunnykins,

You have a very deep infection that has caused damage to needed files. I'll alert those who specialize in these issues so they can help get you back up and running then get the infections off your computer.

~ OB

Orange Blossom

#8 bunnykins

bunnykins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:45 AM

since i didn't have the OS disk to repair my computer i burned a Vista Recovery disk and repaired my computer to a manageable state that way, and got it up and running again. i've backed up all my files onto disks and tomorrow i'm going to clean out my computer and reinstall my OS entirely.

thanks. if i have any more problems i'll be sure to post. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users