Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to merge partition?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 swift06

swift06

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

hi,

my hard disc is partitioned into 3>> c:\ , d:\ , and i:\

currently my OS is installed in D drive >>> bcoz my system failed to start i had to install new OS in D partition keeping data in C drive

but space is a problem >> 40 gb hard disc D drive only 9gb....:thumbsup:

also i cant find the third partition ????

my Q is >> how can i merge all my partition into a single NTFS drive without changing anything >>> without the need to re-installing OS again ??

is there any software?? anyone pls help with this problem??

:flowers:

I never go back on my words.....BELIEVE IT !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:52 PM

One program that is free comes to mind.

It is called Gparted.

You can download it from this web site.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/

This is an ISO image, you have to burn this image to a CD-R disk using burning software that converts ISO images. Once it's done place it into a CD or DVD drive and boot from it.

I am sure there are other partition programs that will be offered in this thread, but I have used this one and found it to be pretty easy to use.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 September 2010 - 10:58 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:20 AM

Since your current OS installation is on D:, you would not be able to merge it into a single C: drive and have it operate as everything will be registered as being on D:

Keeping the drive designations and trying to adjust sizes to reclaim space might be messier and more likely to fail than doing a fresh installation.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 swift06

swift06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

so its wise to do a fresh installation after merging all the partitions ... :thumbsup:

do u know of any method to do so ??? :trumpet:

pls reply thanx :flowers:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:11 AM

What Platypus stated above is true and correct, however, if you tried to to join/merge partition D: and I: together, you would be able to do this successfully.

Joining C:, D: and I: together to be one whole partition called C: would however be a major problem, since your OS is on partition D:

When I answered your post originally, I was assuming you wanted to join D: and I: together.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 08:52 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:32 AM

If this is an OEM system (made by HP, eMachines, IBM, etc.)...chances are that your system has at least one hidden or nonstandard partition.

Depending on your capability to install XP (method/medium)...changing any of the current partitions on the hard drive...may not be desireable.

Is this the same HP system your other thread is about?

Louis

#7 swift06

swift06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

@Louis

thanks for ur info

yeah :thumbsup: , i its the same HP
the reason is :trumpet: >>> my system crashed a couple of weeks ago and i managed to install OS freshly with an ISO CD...
and am of the idea of upgrading system for windows 7.... so till that i must use this and since OS is in D drive which only 8 gb space -- i thought of merging partitions...

@Bruce, Platypus

i would only like to merge D and I as now know that there should be more than one partition for system to function....

:inlove: but problem is i can only find D and C drives >>total 29gb but other 10 gb >> i cant find ???? :flowers:

any help??? thanx

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

OK...the question arises...how do you plan to reinstall XP, if the need arises today?

Who provided your CD, if you have one? If you don't have one, have you read the instructions provided by HP for repair/recovery/reinstalling Windows?

Louis

#9 swift06

swift06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:49 PM

the problem is my original HP dvds are not working properly>>> it says cannot copy i386 folder or sometimes dosent ditect the dvd itself

so i had to make a ISO cd from one of my friend..
bcoz it was the first time , as a trial i installed it into D keeping data in C.
now there is space problem :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users