Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT - Gaming Cinematic Lag/Stutter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kalak2211

kalak2211

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

MB : Intel® Desktop Board DQ45CB.
GFX CARD : GEFORCE 9800 GT - Driver Vers 258.96.
CPU : 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9400.
MEM : 4 Gig.

Been tearing my hair out over this for a while now - searching vainly through Google for any problems/solutions vaguely similar to mine, which is where i found this thread on here with a similar problem but no cigar.

The problem I'm having is not in actual gameplay but only the starting titles (ironically the Nvidia one) and cinematic parts of games, the graphics slow right down and become choppy/stutter and the sound gets gaps in it, the sound doesn't just go silent it actually has half second gaps (approx).

I have updated all drivers, checked temperatures, messed about with Nvidia settings 6 ways from Sunday and sacrificed several fluffy animals to various gods of technology, all to no avail. If anyone could possibly offer sensible advice I will willingly give you my first-born child or, if preferred, my sister (I have two, my parents won't miss one.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Are you playing the games from the game disks or are you playing the games directly from the hard drive?

Also I am just curious if you are playing games across the Internet?

If you could post the names of the games you are having problems with we may be able suggest a fix.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 September 2010 - 10:40 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kalak2211

kalak2211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

Playing games both from hard drive and from disc, like I say it's not the gameplay that's lagging only the starting splashscreen type things at the beginning and then the cinematic story portions of games like the intro and set pieces. Titles I have had the problem on include Disciples III, Borderlands and Warhammer : Mark of chaos.

Yes, I play borderlands on steam, in response to whether it's online or not but again this isn't the issue, it's a gfx problem not actual lag. Forcing V-Sync makes it slightly better but still doesn't fix it.

Edited by kalak2211, 07 September 2010 - 12:12 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:26 AM

I just checked Nvidia's web site, I see you have the latest driver for Windows XP.

Is your graphics card temperature raising up into the danger zone that you are aware of?

I mean have you tired monitoring the temperature of the GPU during game play to see if its bordering near the unstable hot side?

Also one last thought, have you checked the motherboard BIOS for any settings that may enhance the video performance?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 12:28 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 kalak2211

kalak2211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

Right, i just took the whole PC apart, cleaned everything, including the fan assembly on the GFX card. Re-seated everything and booted up, at idle the GPU runs at 51 Deg C (121 deg F) and only climbs to 57 after an hour of gaming. Also it's the very first thing you see in games i.e the splashscreens that are getting the stutter so heat is unlikely, as I say, gameplay is fine, it's just the cinemtaics.

I also checked the BIOS and there are only options for the apeture size and memory allowance of the IGD and boot priority of the on board or external GFX Driver.

I don't know if it's comparable or not but it plays .mkv files and Blu-rays fine.

#6 kalak2211

kalak2211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

Ok, this is a bit weird - I have been going through all the options in the nVidia control panel, one at a time (again) to see if anything will resolve this, after trying many permutations and nothing working I ran Avira (my antivirus program) whilst it was scanning I decided to try all 3 games I mentioned before and, lo and behold, they all work fine!

I then restarted the pc, tried it with virus scan running, all fine. Stopped scan, problem resurfaces. I uninstalled Avira and ran Malwarebytes and the same thing, as long as the cpu has something else to be doing I have no problems at all - WTH???

Edited by kalak2211, 07 September 2010 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users