Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your assessment of my security

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mojowon

mojowon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

I am currently using the following setup on my laptop. My laptop has Windows Vista OS 64 bit. Anyone who can recommend any further free programs or remove some would be appreciated. I am using the Vista firewall. I may be using too many programs and it is overkill. What do you guys think? Is there any I can get rid that may be just taking up resources? My main concern is security. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. AVG 9.0 free antivirus
2. Malwarebytes free edition
3. A2 malware free edition
4. SuperAntispyware free edition
5. Adware free edition
6. Spybot free edition
7. Immunet Protect free edition
8. Keyscrambler free edition
9. WinPatrol free edition
10. PC Tools Antispyware free edition
11. Secunia Personal Software Inspector free

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

It looks to me like an overkill.
If it was my computer, I'd cut it down to ## 1, 2, 4, 9, 11

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:25 AM

The detection of Spybot free edition is 50% against others antispyware programs. So I would uninstall it.

You have installed to many AS/AV's..

I would keep 1, 2, 4, 9, 10.

Security doesn't only depends on the programs, updates are even highly important!

Edited by Driesiooo, 07 September 2010 - 06:27 AM.

#4 Cyber-Flux

Cyber-Flux

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

I would go with 2, 9 and 10. Like the others said, over-kill.

I would also suggest getting a firewall.

There are various free firewalls out there, Zone Alarm being one.
But I do find the PC Tools Firewall Plus to be quite useful as it has two modes, advanced and basic.

#5 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

I did hear that the free PC Tools Firewall was being discontinued by Symantec.

Strangely the download page no longer says that, so maybe they have thought again.
James

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

What would Symantec have to do with PC Tools?
http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

There is a news item here:
http://www.securecomputing.net.au/News/124...-tools-buy.aspx

Edit: I understand that they have relented and are continuing with the free firewall, even a V7.

Edited by JamesFrance, 10 September 2010 - 05:40 AM.

James

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame.

Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

Emsisoft (a-squared) products are prone to "false positives" and they even acknowledge this.

...Sometimes security software falsely identifies important crucial system components as a threat (hence the term False Positives - FP).

Removing/deleting critical system files, even temporarily, can make a system crash. Sometimes the system will recover after a reboot, and sometimes it will not. Therefore, you may not be able to start your system. Special system restore measures may be needed, or even a full system re-installation.

...If detections are FP's, you run the risk of rendering your system inoperable...

a-squared HiJackFree: Using security Software to scan data
a-squared Anti-Malware: Using security Software to scan data
a-squared Free: Using security Software to scan data

...the a-squared Scanner looks for files, folders, registry entries and Tracking Cookies that are typically created by Spyware programs. Traces are exactly these trails that Spyware leaves behind.

This approach has both advantages and disadvantages for Malware recognition...The negative side is that it provides a relatively inexact, or insufficiently differentiated to be more precise, Malware recognition. Benign software can be falsely recognized, for example, if it uses the same file name or folder as a dangerous Spyware program.

Software discovered via Traces should therefore first be double-checked to see if it is actually Malware before it is finally deleted...

Spyware Traces in Detail

If you're going to use Emsisoft (a-squared) products, get a second opinion on suspicious or questionable file detections by submitting them to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If there are multiple file detections you're not sure about, then perform an Online Virus Scan like ESET or Kaspersky.

If you suspect the detection was a false positive, then report it to Emsisoft Support so they can investigate or submit samples to their research lab.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

Now we're talking :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users