Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javascript Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drumnminitruckr

drumnminitruckr

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

there's something wrong with my browser

a while back i had some spyware and i got that fixed and since then weblinks that are javascript wont work for me. I can click on the links 100 times and it will never come up.
i download the java runtime environment thinking that might fix it, but it didn't.
It's causing problems, for example I can't get into my college email inbox cause the link into it is in javascript

someone please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gimme-a-hand

Gimme-a-hand

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:44 PM

Hey dude,

Did you get any replies by email to this post?

I've been having similar problems and it really knackers your web browsing. I didn't get any spyware that I know of, but I can't even download the software to make sure - cos the links are all javascript!

I had IE6 installed and tried everything with no luck. Reset all the default settings etc etc. Repaired IE - still no good. Finally uninstalled it and ended up with IE5.5, but it still won't open javascript hyperlinks.

Please, if anyone can help with this it will really help me with lots of problems.

Please?

Edited by Gimme-a-hand, 26 November 2005 - 03:44 PM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

Javascript and Java runtime are two different things. Are you having problems with MicroSoft's javascript, or Sun's Java runtime?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Gimme-a-hand

Gimme-a-hand

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:57 AM

I'm having problems with javascript (I think).

Basically, I can't open any links on a web page which are shown in the status bar as javascript. All of the http links work fine. It really causes lots a headaches as there are some things that is almost impossible to do without being able to open these links.

I don't really know too much about anything to do with this problem, but I have checked as much as I am able to, or know about - like all the security options etc in IE. I have searched the web, Microsoft's knowledgebase as well as this site, but found no information that can help me.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:47 AM

Please post the exact error message. It will be contained inside the error icon in the lowwer left corner of IE.
Go to Windows update to make sure you have all the patches.

#6 Gimme-a-hand

Gimme-a-hand

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:04 PM

Everything is updated on Windows, apart from a load of different language menu files. I didn't really wanna download all 38 of those and I can't see they are anything to do with this problem. They've been on Windows' update site for a long time before this problem occured.

IE does not actually give an error for this - it just doesn't go to the link or open another window. It makes the 'click' noise as if it is going to do something, but that's it. I can click it any number of times, but it does nothing. All you see in the lower left corner is 'javascript' followed by the remainder of the address/location.

I don't even know what might have triggered this off. I haven't downloaded anything for a while, but my 'puter is a bit old now (yr-2000) and plays up sometimes. Nothing's happened like this before.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:00 PM

Are you running antispyware antivirus and a firewall? Like the ones listed below.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home (hardware and software information)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Sygate 5.4 (I personally use)
Zone Alarm

They are all freeware.

#8 Gimme-a-hand

Gimme-a-hand

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:39 PM

I run Zone Alarm and did have Norton Systemworks until a few weeks ago. I didn't renew the subscription as I was gonna change the antivirus software.

When I tried to instal AVG I got:

"Local machine: installation failed
Initialization:
Error: Checking of state of the item registry key HKCU\Software\RIT\The Bat! (current user) failed.
The configuration registry database is corrupt. (1009)"

I'm a bit puzzled by the current user in the error message above. I don't know who "The Bat!" is, but it ain't me.

Tried to instal BitDefender and got a registry key error message. It will not install.

Ran Sygate's trojan scan which said port 5000 is open and listed Bubbel and a few other trojans which use that port. It didn't say I was infected (then again it didn't say I wasn't).

Most of the anti-spyware is downloaded via a javascript link and I can't use them.

Thanks for the ideas, if you can suggest what the message from AVG might be about, I'd appreciate it, or any other suggestions you may have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users