Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 (64 bit) freezing problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

Hi, I've got an Asus g series laptop running windows 7 64bit. It's only 3 months old (And i do love it) but im having a weird problem lately. My computer seems to freeze in certain situations. here are those situations:

if i go to install an older game (halo CE for instance) it'll run the setup program, but then itll completely lock up before i can even click to install

if i go to run Audacity it freezes

sometimes when im playing music and doing other various tasks it freezes.

this computer has 6gb's of RAM, and i know that im doing multitasking enough to cause it to freeze. In fact, all of my freezes have come when generally the computer isnt being heavily used.

Now, being more specific the Event Viewer shows I have 10 critical errors in the last 7 days. They're all the same thing. Kernel-Power is the source, with event ID number 41. Unfortunately through my reading, ive found that all this means is the computer was shut unexpectedly. but that of course is because it froze, and i had to do a hard shut down.

I've checked my registry using CCleaner, and it did find a lot of errors and things but it fixed them all and im still getting this freezing issue.
Funny thing is, i can easily test it just by trying to install Halo CE (a game than ran flawlessly a matter of weeks ago before i started having this problem).
It literally will freeze EVERY single time i try to install that game. and its weird its like i can here the CD drive slow down before it freezes. its odd.

I ran malware bytes and it found nothing, i also used my avast anti virus and im clean.
I tried re-installing my video driver and audio driver. didn't work.
I tried cleaning the registry .. didnt work
I cant think of anything else as to how to fix this.
:huh:

thanks

LJ

Edited by ihateadware52792, 06 September 2010 - 06:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hello system freezes can be caused by a lot of possibilities.

System over-heating.

Power supply inadequate.

Buggy drivers.

RAM problems.

You say your laptop is 3 months old. Okay it is hard to say dust has taken its toll on something inside the computer, but it can not be ruled out.

Laptops are subject to more abuse than a desktop computer. Sometimes RAM modules can get knocked loose and cause problems.

Laptop power adapters can sometimes go bad, those units do get hot, if they fail to supply a constant supply of current, the laptop can freeze up.

Buggy drivers for any hardware or newly installed software can cause issues as well, so you should try to look back to the day this problem started for a possible buggy driver.

You can investigate this by searching your hard drive for files that were created in or around that date.

Hopefully this will help you.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 September 2010 - 07:06 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the insight Bruce ill give that some thought

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the insight Bruce ill give that some thought

Please keep us informed, if the problem persists, we'll try to find a solution, sometimes it takes a little bit, but we'll get there.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Sunnyrepairs

Sunnyrepairs

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:05 AM

Symptoms u have identifies are most probably linked to registry errors on ur computer it is wise to run a registry repair scan with reg in out registry cleaner....

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

Symptoms u have identifies are most probably linked to registry errors on ur computer it is wise to run a registry repair scan with reg in out registry cleaner....

Please read the warning below.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#7 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

I actually used CC Cleaner's registry cleaning tool, mostly because I've had great experience with CC cleaner, unfortunately it did not fix the problem. It's just weird that I can get the Computer to freeze in certain situations. Like trying to install Halo CE for example. A game that used to work flawlessly..

It's as if the freezing isnt so much random, it feels like it's brought on by doing certain things. or running certain programs together. another example is sometimes when i run Baseball Mogul 2011 and listen to music with Zune software the computer will freeze after a period of a time. and of course the halo example above. there are others but i think you can get the main idea with those 2 examples.

ALSO

I've figured out through Event Viewer, that the problem started on August 25th. So essentially, something happened around that time that started these freezes when i go to do certain things. Hopefully knowing when it started is a big help!

Edited by ihateadware52792, 08 September 2010 - 01:45 PM.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:30 PM

This site might help you. Windows 7 compadibility checker.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...us/default.aspx
Question: Which 64 bit windows do you have.

#9 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

uhmmm its not with this problem. But registry cleaners actually affect performance...... alot..... in a good way. Ive used registry cleaners on every computer Ive ever owned (about 8) and have never once ran into a problem but it does dramatically help. CCleaners probably doesnt that much.... Though they arent a critical part of computer maintenance dont act like they dont help. Just because in extremely rare situations they cause a problem.

#10 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

This site might help you. Windows 7 compadibility checker.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...us/default.aspx
Question: Which 64 bit windows do you have.

windows 7 home premium - 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users