Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer keeps giving me the 0x000000f4 bsod

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

hello, first off I'd like to say thank you to all of those willing to help me. I know it is difficult to take the time and effort to attempt to solve everyones computer issues.

I have a Windows XP Professional desktop 1.37gb of ram.. the model # is emachines W3644

For around 6-7 days it has been having a lot of issues.. tuneup utilities tells me it has a file system error... I have ran chkdsk and fixed it multiple times.. but the file system error keeps coming back a few days later.

It was (not currently) when it would sit idle for around 20 mins it'd tell me it failed to write data to the hard drive, and that the data is lost.

Right now it's been giving me a BSOD of 0x000000f4.. which I looked up.. a lot of people say it can be ram, bad driver, and the cmos battery... I did replace the cmos battery which is dead, and I also switched the slots the ram chips are in... I have two ram chips, I switched them around... replacing the cmos battery and switching the ram chip positions didn't help... I still get the 0x000000f4 message at any given time... it happens when I'm using a program, browsing the internet, my computer sits idle, and when I tell it to shut down, etc.

I have told my computer to start saving .dmp files.. in hopes someone would look at them or something? I have 9 of them... 8 of them are related to the 0x000000f4 message.

The other one is 0x000000ce or c8 I'm not sure which one.

I can be watching a youtube video, and my desktop will lock up, unfreeze, then lock up again... it'll go to the bsod.. but the youtube video will be playing... not normally though, it'll sound like a scratched cd... what I'm saying is the youtube video will be completely loaded, I'll be watching it, my computer will give me the 0x000000f4 bsod... but the youtube video will sound erratic... playing only one certain part over and over in an endless loop.

Another issue is my computer will no longer hibernate. I will go to Start>Turn Off Computer>I'll press the shift key, and click hibernate. But when I click hibernate it acts like it is getting ready to hibernate... then it all of the sudden goes back to my desktop... like I never told it to hibernate.

To solve the issues I have turned hibernate off, restarted, then turned the hibernate feature back on.

I have turned off virtual memory, then turned it back on... and made the maximum amount 1.5 times the amount of my ram.

I've cleared my temp %temp% and prefetch folders.

I've ran scans using webroot, and malwarebytes'

When I try running a scan using spybot... my computer freaks out... and spybot tells me my computer had an error... then my computer gives me a bsod.

The 0x000000f4 message started happening around 5-6 days ago when I installed video watermark factory.

Someone please help me? Thank you very much.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 08 September 2010 - 09:41 AM.
Moved from AII to XP. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

I think you may need to replace your hard drive.

#3 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:48 AM

Okay, anyone else think the same thing about me needing to replace my hard drive? That could be it I guess.. it is 3 years old.
Anyways forget about the problems I mentioned above.. I'll replace the hard drive... right now I'm worried about getting my stuff off of it.
I was running a scan using a program called unhackme...
Well let's just say when I told it to delete a lot of things... and restarted my computer and now my keyboard and mouse no longer work...
I tried my wireless keyboard and mouse... and I also tried the ones that hook into the back of my computer.. that originally came with it.. and none of them will work.

I think it may have deleted some driver files or something.. help!?
I'm using reatogo-x-pe to write this.. and I can access my C drive... and get my stuff off of it, but that'd take forever using this disc.
So someone help me get my keyboard and mouse to work? Thank you

Edited by thatoneguyyep101, 08 September 2010 - 04:49 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

<<..ltuneup utilities tells me it has a file system error...>>

If that's "file system' as in NTFS, then you may have to delete the partition and create a new one.

I guess that I don't know what to suggest, other than a restore/recovery, now that you have waited and made questionable modifications to the system.

System reference, http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W3644.

Louis

#5 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

I had a file system error before I used the unhackme program. I would run chkdsk, and tell it to be thorough and to fix the errors it found... it's do it's 4 stages or whatever, fix errors, then restart... and tuneup utilities would no longer tell me about a file system error.... my computer would work fine for a while... then give me a bsod, I'd have to turn it off by holding down the power button on the tower. Then it'd restart... and I'd have file system errors.

I tried to use the program called unhackme... I let it run and then I feel asleep, it got done scanning, I woke up.. and went through all the things it found. It found 5-6 things... at least 4 of them being malware for sure... the rest I'm not sure if it was good or bad. So I was tired... and I didn't really care... and I had no idea it'd make my keyboard and mouse not work :thumbsup:

Unhackme was done "cleaning" my computer, and said it needed to restart... so I restarted.. before it got to the logon screen it deleted a few things.. and then my computer went to the login screen..... guess what!?!?

My mouse doesn't move.... at all, it just stays there in the center of the screen doing nothing... my keyboard also doesn't function. So therefore I can't login.

I tried using my wireless keyboard and mouse... then I also tried my PS/2 keyboard and mouse... my computer will not accept the input from them..

So is there any way to restore the files that made my PS/2 keyboard and mouse work? Does unhackme make a backup file somewhere? Why did it tell me my keyboard and mouse driver had a 40% of being dangerous.... then gave me the option to delete them? I mean really..... it's my keyboard and mouse.... why would that stupid program even offer to delete things like that??

What do I need to do to get my keyboard and mouse working without reinstalling the entire OS? Can't I just copy a few files over to the driver folder or something?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

Can you your keyboard and mouse in Safe Mode?

#7 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:27 AM

No it won't work in safe mode either... I think I deleted a file or something related to them ):
Neither wireless keyboard and mouses or ps/2 ones will work. It's because of that unhackme program.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Do you have access to a Windows CD that is the same service pack level of the OS that is installed on your computer?

#9 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:29 PM

Yes I do.. it's windows xp pro sp3

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:13 AM

Here follow this:

Perform a Repair Installation with Windows XP

#11 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

I've tried doing that already.. it restored drivers and files, etc. But my keyboard and mouse still didn't work.. that's why I'm asking if there's a more manual way to do it?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Can you try a different mouse and keyboard?

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

When you connect a PS/2 keyboard or mouse make sure that the system is powered off otherwise they might not be detected. Then try to go into the system bios on startup. If you can do that the keyboard works.
Windows shuld automatically install what drivers it needs

If you ask me, that unhack me program sounds dubious at best. Personally I wouldnt trust it. I have never heard mention of it on BC before
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

I did have my computer powered off before connecting the PS/2 keyboard and mouse.. that didn't help.
So I used reatogo-x-pe and it allowed me access to my C drive.. then I backed compressed my files using winrar, and I uploaded them to my mediafire account [=

I reinstalled my OS.. which is on drive C... and I made another partition... so that's drive D.

I want to freeze/lock drive C to prevent malware and such from getting to it... yes I've used norton and kaspersky... but with 5 other people using my computer it's difficult to keep it working properly... so someone please suggest some programs such as deep freeze?

I want my OS partition to be frozen/locked... and when I need to install updates or programs I still want to be able to do that when needed... any ideas? Thanks!

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

You will want to give those 5 users limited accounts.

Windows SteadyState 2.5 - IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - SEE BELOW

Look into SteadyState as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users