Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I copy setup files to CD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doo

doo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

I use 2 computers. The one I'm own now, uses XP,and obviously has internet capabilities. The other computer uses Windows 98 and doesn't have access to the internet.
I've downloaded (saved as.....without opening) a few program setup files (all freeware)that I use on this computer. I've copied the set up files to a cd, to try and transfer them to the other computer.When I copy, windows say's "some of the information may be lost etc."The files copy, but they don't set up or open correctly when I add them to the other computer. It says some files are missing (duh).The programs I'm trying to transfer supposedly works with all Windows, i.e.VLC media player, CDex, Any-Video-converter, Codec pack all-in-one, etc. The codec pak copied ok, I ran it but it didn't seem to add any codecs to my media player.

How can i copy ALL THE FILES to a disc for proper set-up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:01 PM

VLC media player for Windows
Latest version - 1.1.4
This release only supports Windows 2000 (SP4+UR1), XP, Vista and 7.

CDex 1.51 (release version)
There are 2 versions: (direct downloads)
Download for Windows 9x series (95, 98, ME)
Download for Windows NT series (NT, 2000, XP, Vista)
Did you download the proper one?

Any Video Converter
I can't find a compatibility list on the site, that lists specific OS's.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 doo

doo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

The Cdex loaded up ok on my other computer.And I used the correct version of VLC. It's just when I copy these (or any) setup type files to a CD, windows tells me some of the files can't be transfered.I copy the files anyway but when I try to set up the programs on the other computer it says some files can't be found (dll I think) and the program won't run.
Do I need to copy it as an image file or iso to get it to copy/load properly?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Which dll file?
You might not have the appropriate dll's installed on the machine, to run the programs.

This has me confused:

It's just when I copy these (or any) setup type files to a CD, windows tells me some of the files can't be transfered.

Are you copying the installers to CD, or trying to copy the files from the Program Files folder?

What program are you using, to copy files to the CD?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 doo

doo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

Which dll file?You might not have the appropriate dll's installed on the machine, to run the programs.

This has me confused:

It's just when I copy these (or any) setup type files to a CD, windows tells me some of the files can't be transfered.

Are you copying the installers to CD, or trying to copy the files from the Program Files folder?

What program are you using, to copy files to the CD?

--i'll try installing again and find out which dll file is missing.That may be part of the problem, because it's an old computer that I'm trying to install on.

--I'm saving the installer file to my desktop, after I download from the web site.I then burn that file/folder to a disc.

--I've used the Windows Media player and I've tried Deep Burn, both with the same results.

I'll try again with the W Media player and get the exact warning message it gives me, and post it.

Edited by doo, 14 September 2010 - 12:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users