Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor / bsod problem upon shutdown

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PsychicGypsy

PsychicGypsy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

Ok, so recently I got a new monitor / hd television (you can hook up a vga cable to it) and I had some minor problems with setting it up (had to change the resolution to 1360x768 and the refresh rate to 60 hz), but it works now and is pretty sweet. It's a Dynex 19" 720p DX-19L-150A11 if that helps at all.

But this is a problem that I've had for a good while before this. It started out that my computer would restart after pressing shut down computer. So I changed an option in (I think) the start menu to not restart upon errors. Then it gave me the blue screen of death upon shutting down. Then after I set up my new monitor, it still gave me the bsod. I uninstalled nvidia drivers and an nvidia desktop manager via add or remove programs, and it then set the resolution to 800x600 and windows told me to install the latest drivers for my new hardware after I restarted. I did, and I thought I was out of the woods. But not quite. Now when I shut it down, my resolution switches to 480x600 (the lowest my monitor supports) and gives me a black screen. I can't see my mouse or anything. I can still hear my computer running after it goes black. I thought this was the equivalent to the bsod, but when I press the power button on my computer, it doesn't shut down. I've been unplugging it, which I know is terrible for a computer, so if you guys know any way to get out of this, please fill me in.

Now, I wasn't able to copy down the entire bsod, but here's some of it:

DRIVER_IQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information (not all of it though, sorry): ***STOP: 0X000...00.1 0.00....001 etc

Sorry I couldn't get the whole thing, but I was pressed for time the last time it happened, and the next day was when I uninstalled the drivers. I do know that the numbers under technical info read 0.000000000 (etc) 1 about 5 or 6 times.

Please, if anyone knows a way out of this mess, I'd love to know what to do. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 PsychicGypsy

PsychicGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

Ok, so maybe it wasn't caused by my monitor. All the reports gave the same info.

Dump File : Mini082210-01.dmp
Crash Time : 8/22/2010 7:44:25 PM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x100000d1
Parameter 1 : 0x993f2264
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0xf727d209
Caused By Driver : WPN111.sys
Caused By Address : WPN111.sys+22209
File Description : Driver for Atheros AR5005 Wireless USB Network Adapter
Product Name : Atheros AR5005 Wireless USB Network Adapter
Company : Atheros Communications, Inc.
File Version : 1.5.0.137
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082210-01.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

Do you mean, you have more logs, each one indicating WPN111.sys file?

If so, reinstall your wireless adapter driver (Atheros AR5005 Wireless USB Network Adapter).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 PsychicGypsy

PsychicGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

Yes, there was eight reports (although I've encountered this problem way more than eight times), and all of them said the same thing except the dates were different. How would I go about reinstalling my network adapter? I've encountered other problems with this device before. The router connected to my modem has also given me some problems as well. The problem I've been having with that is that both my computer (bsod one) and my ipod can pick up my signal, but it can't use it. Or, my (bsod) computer will disconnect from the signal. The only way I've found to fix it is to unplug either the atheros (which btw is called netgear, I'm not sure why it says atheros) or the router. If you know any way that can fix that, I'd love to know. But, how would I reinstall my adapter driver? I'm not too knowledgeable about drivers other than you use device manager. Thanks in advance.

Edited by PsychicGypsy, 06 September 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

Is this desktop, or laptop?
Build-in wireless, or wireless card/dongle?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 PsychicGypsy

PsychicGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

desktop. The wireless adapter is plugged in via usb if that's what you mean (it's not built in)

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Since you reported some router problem, we don't know at this point, if we have two issues (router and wireless dongle), or one (router causing errors on your computer).
Go to Device Manager.
What is listed under Wireless Adapters?
Do you have any CD, which came with USB wireless adapter?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 PsychicGypsy

PsychicGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

NETGEAR RANGEGEAR™ Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter WPN11 (It's not plugged into a 2.0 usb port though because I don't have one)
Realtek RTL8319 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (I disabled this after setting up my computer because I'm using this netgear thing. I don't think it's mine, might be from a neighbor's wireless or something)

And both have given me issues for a very long time (the router and the adapter). I can still use them, just have to reset them a few times a day.

And no, not that I know of. I don't think there was a cd. I'm not sure where I got the software from. A quick punch into google of netgear wpn11 software only gives me driver links. If there was a cd, I'm sure it's long gone by now. I'll look around though.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

NETGEAR RANGEGEARô Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter WPN11 (It's not plugged into a 2.0 usb port though because I don't have one)

How is it connected then?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 PsychicGypsy

PsychicGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

A 1.0 usb (or whatever is the default from a computer).

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

I believe, that Atheros driver supports number of different products, so you should be fine, if you uninstall current Netgear driver and install fresh one from here: http://www.soft32.com/download_183600.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 PsychicGypsy

PsychicGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Ok, so after a mess of different problems, I now have everything up and running smoothly.

I'm not exactly sure why, but netgear's site didn't have a driver included in their software (great to know after I deleted the wpn111 driver, thus cutting off my internet). Device manager couldn't find any drivers (big shock there, I didn't have internet). So I looked through my CDs and found a netgear wg111 software disc and a wg111 adapter. Just sheer luck helped me out here. So I removed the wpn111 software, installed the wg111 software and driver, did a few minor things, then did a dance on top of my computer chair because I got internet again. I shut down my computer and encountered no hiccups whatsoever! No more BSODs or anything!

Thanks so much broni! I probably would still be messing with my monitor if hadn't been for you. You really helped me out a bunch here and I really appreciate it.

Whoosh, so glad this is all behind me now. :thumbsup:

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:40 PM

Cool Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users