Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing motherboard, ram, and cpu.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yemeth

Yemeth

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

The only good computer parts website I know of is newegg so i'm unsure if i'm getting the best deals as I can't really compare it to anywhere else.

My gpu is a n9600gt md1g.

My power supply is Sky hawk power one switching power supply I think the wattage is 500-540 but i'm unsure.

Motherboard
Or should I get this it's cheaper but I don't know how good biostar motherboards are.

RAM

CPU

Edited by Yemeth, 06 September 2010 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

tiger-direct is another good computer parts site. i think they bought circuit city's namer, and are selling on the circuit city web address as well. amd motherboards are cheap, thats all you have to know, but as far as biostarts record, im not sure. asus boards are more expensive than some, but they have good quality. i use asus myself.

as far as rick solid stability, i would go with a genuine intel board, however, these are pricy and the intel processors are pricy as well.

tiger-direct is another good computer parts site. i think they bought circuit city's namer, and are selling on the circuit city web address as well. amd motherboards are cheap, thats all you have to know, but as far as biostarts record, im not sure. asus boards are more expensive than some, but they have good quality. i use asus myself.

as far as rick solid stability, i would go with a genuine intel board, however, these are pricy and the intel processors are pricy as well.

#3 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

sorry about the last post, i dont know how that happened...

anyway, it appeears that the biostar board is an older am2+ board that will not support faster ddr3 ram. the asus board is a new, true am3 board, and supports faster ddr3 ram, i believe. if this is the case, get the asus board.

you should be looking at new am3 boards, and not older am2/am2+ board with am3 compatibility, for the am2+ boards are not compatible with the faster ddr3 ram, only with the new processors.

the am3 boards are compatible both with the new processors as well as with the faster ddr3 ram.

#4 Yemeth

Yemeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

I actually forgot to mention but I did find different ram the first ram link was for the first motherboard.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

I do agree with acheleg in the second post, a true AM3 motherboard would be best in terms of performance. I would also suggest going for an AMD 8xx series motherboard as it has USB 3.0. I would go with the GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 motherboard as it doesn't cost much more than your original choice. You don't get the rebate, but you are slightly future-proofing yourself better. For the RAM, you can keep what you've got if you're not doing any overclocking or seriously pushing the limits of your system, but I do suggest getting 4GB if you can afford it. Remember, you need a 64-bit OS to use 4GB or more of RAM. Also, due to licensing restrictions, you may have to repurchase Windows if you are using an OEM copy. There is nothing, technologically speaking, preventing you from simply reinstalling and activating normally, though. Keep in mind that Intel and AMD are both introducing new platforms next year and, in regards to AM3 products, AM3 CPU's will be compatible with AM3+ motherboards, but AM3+ CPU's will not be compatible with AM3 motherboards. Intel simply has no backwards compatibility at all with socket LGA 2011. Given your price point and component selections, this probably will not be a major issue for you.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users