Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Driver Update - Resolution Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rook0316

Rook0316

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

OK and for my latest problem.

I updated my onboard video drivers for my desktop computer, an old HP a824n. Before the driver update, I was able to use 1920 x 1080 on my Vizio TV. After the update, when selecting 1920 x 1080, I have black bars to the left and right of the screen. I know all the settings on the TV are correct. I am using RGB cable.

I have rolled back the drivers and everything was displayed correctly. I installed the newest drivers again and same problem. I need to have the newest drivers installed as it corrects a rendering issue for me in one of my programs I use.

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than the obvious buy an add-on video card?

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

Can you please post the url to where you are getting the video driver from?

Also after you updated the video driver, did you try changing the vertical and horizontal screen size settings on your monitor?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I left out a little computer info. I am running XP Home, Intel 910GL Express.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...64&lang=eng

I have tried to use both the auto adjust and the manual stretching of the screen. Nothing works. I would estimate the bands on both sides of the monitor to be about 200px.

Thanks again for the help.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

I checked out the Intel web site you posted above.

This is the Intel chip set related drivers.

What I need to ask you for clairification is the make and model number of your motherboard.

I want to see if there are OEM drivers that should be installed for your video graphics card.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

Bruce,

Thanks again for the quick reply.

My motherboard is a Asus PTGD1-LA.

Here is the link to the product page of my computer. HP a824n. Everything is still stock except I have 3.5GB of RAM.

Thanks

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Please try the video driver from this page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...uct=445596#N805

Make sure you un-install any present drivers you have installed for the video garphics. Yes your resolution will go to something like 800x600 16 colors for a bit, then install the driver from the HP web site.

2006-04-17 , Version:6.14.10.4421, 6.16M
Driver update for the Intel 915 and 945 Express chipset families resolves missing mouse cursor issue.

See if this corrects the problem. Please let me know.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 September 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#7 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

Bruce,

You are the man. I should have known to uninstall the video driver instead of installing over it. I just got lazy I guess and didnt think that could be the problem.

Everything is working great.

Thank You.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Rook0316, you are most welcomed!

Any time you have a problem, come see us, we'll get you through it one way or another!

Happy computing my friend and thank you for using Bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users