Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low On Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rapla

rapla

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:31 AM

Hi,
My computer has gone very slow and keeps getting the message "your computer is running low on Virtual Memory"
I am on Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6
Recently I had some malware problems which you helped me to fix and I am running Elwido suite,Avast antivirus,and Outpost firewall so I don't think i am infected.
When I change pages on the browser the pages come down a bit at a time and take a long time to appear

Any suggestions please.
regards,
Rapla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:13 AM

Hello rapla and welcome to BC.

The first thing I would do in your situation is clean up the temp files and do a Defrag. You can run Ccleaner to get rid of all the junk files.

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Go to My Computer, right click the C: drive and select properties to find out.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 rapla

rapla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:07 PM

Hello rapla and welcome to BC.

The first thing I would do in your situation is clean up the temp files and do a Defrag. You can run Ccleaner to get rid of all the junk files.

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Go to My Computer, right click the C: drive and select properties to find out.

Hi and thanks for your response,
I have cleaned up the temp files and done a defrag.
I have also run Ccleaner which seemed to clean up a lot of items

I am on win XP
used space 14,889,680,896 bytes 13.8 GB
free space 62,999,199,744 bytes 56.6 GB
capacity 77,888,880,640 72.5 GB

regards,
Rapla

ps. Still running very slow and I should have mentioned that I am on Dial up

Edited by rapla, 08 November 2005 - 08:44 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

Have you looked at the programs you have running at Startup? Go to Start>Run>type in msconfig and look under the Startup tab. Any program with a checkmark is running when you boot the computer. Compare these with our Startup Database found at the top of most pages to see if they are necessary.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 splackavellie_ca

splackavellie_ca

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:43 AM

im having the exact same problem has rapla im running pretty much the same programs he is..i did as you guys told him but it hasnt changed nothing...only difference between my and rapla is im on high speed..i mainly get the error message when i try to use internet explorer..i switched to firefox and it doesnt happen but my computer still runs slow

used space 14.8 GB

free space 22.4 GB

capacity 37.2 GB

any help would be appreciated

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:14 PM

Hi splackavellie_ca

Its always best to start your own topic. I see that you posted a HiJack log but never followed up on it. Not only does that waste our team members time but it indicates your problem is probably malware. I suggest you post a new HiJack This log.

#7 splackavellie_ca

splackavellie_ca

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:46 PM

sorry for never following up but i just got my internet back up and running recently as far as the last hijack log i dont have that computer anymore.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

Thats OK. In the future please post when you fix the problem. Your fix may help someone else.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 rapla

rapla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:39 AM

Have you looked at the programs you have running at Startup? Go to Start>Run>type in msconfig and look under the Startup tab. Any program with a checkmark is running when you boot the computer. Compare these with our Startup Database found at the top of most pages to see if they are necessary.

Hi,
Sorry for the time lapse.
I checked the startup programs via Autoruns download and only two give me doubts.
Under registry keys HKLM shell extensions/approved
1/ Display pannin... file not found deskpan.dll
I have unchecked this as I cannot find any reference to this dll

2/Hyper terminal Hyper terminal Applet library Hilgraeve Inc. C/Win/sys32/Htico

Regards,
Rapla

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:44 AM

Can you give us some information about your computer? CPU, Ram, etc?

When I mentioned startup programs I was referring to unneccessary ones rather than unknown ones.

#11 rapla

rapla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:21 PM

Can you give us some information about your computer? CPU, Ram, etc?

When I mentioned startup programs I was referring to unneccessary ones rather than unknown ones.

Hi ,
AMD athlon™ XP 1600
1.40GHz
192 MB of Ram
Manufactured by TIME computers

Regards,
Rapla

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:59 AM

If your computer is still slow your best option right now is to submit a HiJack This Log for our team to review. See Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer.

#13 rapla

rapla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

If your computer is still slow your best option right now is to submit a HiJack This Log for our team to review. See Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer.

Hi,
Thanks for all your help and as suggested I have posted a Hijackthis log for review.
best regards,
Rapla

#14 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:40 AM

Not trying to butt in, just thought it could be helpful to talk about virtual memory since it is the name of the topic.?

Here is my take on virtual memory for XP machines. I have used it on dozens of machines and I never have that message again and the machines work very well. This is pulled from my "Lockdown" page:

" Now Let's move on to the virtual memory setting. Open the 'control panel' and click on "system." On this page, in the bottom right corner, you will see the amount of ram memory you have installed. Your virtual memory should be twice the amount of ram. Because some of your ram will be in use, you will need to round up to the closest number shown in the chart below. Write this number down and move on to the next paragraph.

Virtual Memory Chart:

Any number up to, but not over 256mb ram = 512mb virtual.

Any number above 256, but not over 512 ram = 1024mb virtual.

Any number above 512, but not over 768 ram = 1536mb virtual.

If you have a number higher than 768 listed for your ram, then you should still set your virtual memory to 1536mb. This equals 1.5gb and your machine will work very well with this. However, many computer makers do not want virtual memory set higher than 1.5gb.

Now that we have your proper number wrote down, lets change the setting. With "system" open, click on "advanced" and then "performance settings" Now "advanced" and then "virtual memory / change." Select "custom size" and then type the number you wrote down (it should be either 512, 1024 or 1536mb) into both boxes and then click "set." And then click "OK" and then "OK" and then "apply."

Finally you will need to "restart" your machine and then visit us again to continue below."

:thumbsup:

Edited by micaman, 19 November 2005 - 04:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users