Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Power Cord

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emjay1

emjay1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and I am upgrading the RAM therefore I need to disconnect all the power cords from the computer. They all pull out easily except for the one for the monitor. What am I doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The cord that goes from your monitor to your video card is the only one you should be concerned with removing.

There are two thumb screws which are on either side of the plug, that you have to unscrew from the VGA port.

If you are trying to pull the cord from the back of the monitor, there is no need to do this and in most cases this cord is hard-wired into the monitor.

If you need more information please let me know, I can post a picture of the VGA plug, showing the thumb screws if needed.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 emjay1

emjay1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Thank you so much for replying.

I guess I shouldn't have called it a power cord. I'm a complete newbie with computers and do not know any proper terms. It is the cord (cable?) that goes from the monitor to the back of the computer.

The part that plugs into the back of the computer does look like it has a screw on either side of it. But the part that puzzles me is that I did pull it out once without a problem but got interupted and had to use the computer to look up something so put it back in. When I went to pull it out again it would not come out so why would I now have to remove the two screws you are talking about?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

Those two screws may have been loose the first time around, but one may have grabbed a few threads, those screws usually screw into two nuts which hold the VGA port into the slot bracket.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 emjay1

emjay1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

So the plug that goes into the computer is called a VGA port? And the place it gets plugged into is called a slot bracket? :flowers:

Thank you .....now that I know the proper terms hopefully I'll be able to find some pic tutorials when I google.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

All you really need to do is to make sure that you have turned off your computer before installing the RAM. If you want to go the extra distance, unplug the computer from the wall. You don't need to disconnect the peripheral devices.

One other concern that you should be aware of is that static electricity builds up in your body, and can discharge when you touch meta, or some of the components inside the case. To avoid this, simply touch the metal of the case to discharge any potentials.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

Here is a web site it has pictures of the video card port and the cables.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/vga/vga.html

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users