Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to keep home computer and work computer separate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thorosport

thorosport

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

I am hoping someone can explain things to me, so that I can be at peace. So here goes, the scernario is that I do work on-line for a company on my wired Dell desktop, no problems there. But also in the home are my laptop (IBM/lonovo), son's laptop (compaq) and my husband's laptop business computer (dell). I would like to know if there are any reports to run so that you guys can look to see how to disable my employer's ability to be in all my computers at home, even though I only use the wired desktop for work. The other computers are all for personal use and have never been used for work (save my own laptop, which I have used on a very few occasions when the Dell was off line). I am most concerned about the remote listening and host services, which I feel should not be on the personal equipment, just on the the desktop, but I may be reading the information wrong. The settings on the personal computers seem to be more restricted than they used to be and every one has trouble connecting and staying connected to the internet since all this started happening. Hopefully this is not too confusing and you guys will understand what I am really asking about.
Thanks in advance for whatever help is offered. You guys (and girls) are a godsend. I love your website and have used it to educate myself many times!!
Maureen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samuria

samuria

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

No one can connect to the other pcs unless there is a port mapped on the router to them. The only way it could be done is if there is a remote control to your pc then they could take over your pc and map drives to the other pc's but they could only connect to any shares on the other pcs and may need a password as well depending how you have set them up.

I assume you connect to work via the internet

#3 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

Based from your statement, I would bet the your desktop computer is has an image of your office Windows Operating system with all the apps that came with it.

Usually, they do installed VNC, and some applications like SMS or SCCM. For the most part, I am thinking that you connect to the office via some type of VPN. Corporate offices do not allow work from home not unless its through some time of VPN. It could be SSL or a client installed.

Anyway, for your office to be able to access the home computer, they should be in the same environment as that desktop you are working on. I doubt that would be the setup of the home PC. Its not set up to be accessible remotely at default.

I highly doubt it that your work IT can gain access to your Laptop not unless they slipped a remote access application. They would have to have physical access to that PC to be able to do that.

^_^
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#4 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:41 AM

In my opinion the biggest risk to working at home is that risk of making your home open to search for work related legal matters. I recommend never doing work on a computer you use for personal use and never storing any work related papers or notes at home. I think it is ok to use a work owned computer at home as long as you don't mix your personal files and your work files, that is keep it totally separate (using the same router is ok I think) and I would avoid printing our work material at home, keep it all electronic on the work computer.

If there is a legal matter at work and you mix your work and home computer environments or you store work paperwork at home, you risk making your home discoverable for evidence. You don't want the police coming in and boxing up all you personal paperwork because it may have work related evidence in it. It is best to be able to say with complete honesty that there is not work related material in your home besides your work computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users