Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removed anti malware dr now cant boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 potroastmaster

potroastmaster

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

Ok i have tried a lot of things to correct the MBR but maybe that is not the issue here. I have multiple Live cds now available. i have recently tried more things and im not getting proper sleep because of my dedication to this issue.

Multiple forums that i have read state "Just boot with the XP cd, then choose recovery console. At the prompt, type fixmbr"

i would love to do this but i can not get past the administrator password, so i utilized the blank out method of clearing the password. still will not accept a blank password because when prompted to enter

password i simply press enter and that is the same command to cancel back to "C:/" i have installed on another computer UBCD4WIN and built a cd strictly to instructions. booted to UBCD with no problems

utilized programs in MbrFix, MBRWiz, and TestDisk. All failed to correct my boot issue. Booting to cd works great, but can not get to boot to original OS on hd. when atempting to boot normally it simply goes to a

blank screen. atempted to enter "free dos" and use command fdisk.exe /mbr and failed to recognize as a valid command. I could go the easy way around and reinstall from scratch but i wouldnt learn anything

accept to keep good sleeping habits. this is for a friend who had a virus (scareware) and was out of town i could not instruct to remove with out handling the computer so i told her to use the forums

(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antimalware-doctor) she did as each step instructed and was able to restart several times through out the process finally instructed to restart to finalize

and would not boot properly (blank Screen). so she left me with the desktop.

Additional information: just tried registry edit to get around the administrator password changing a zero to a 1 under security level dword. saved rebooted and still required to enter password. found that if i hit enter it would go back to C:/ and i tried to use FDISK /MBR and command not found press help for list of commands. so i did and found FIXMBR command and utilized it gave me warning that i may not be able to boot properly and that didnt matter to me because i currently have that issue, executed command restarted same issue. Also have done multiple disk checks with no errors or failed sectors. Previously moved the HD to my Desktop performed AVG scan found some remnants of Virus and moved to vault defragged utilizing Defraggler, currently the HD in question is on the original system.

Hopefully this is everything im sure there are small tasks performed that are not mentioned here please advise in where i have strayed.

thanks in advance jeff.

P.S. IF my only option is to reload xp: since i had to dl the disks that didnt come with the dell initially i may need help with the drivers that are required to make everything operate properly is there away to copy the drivers before i reinstall xp?

Disks on hand: Windows XP Media center Edition 2005 (with SP2 i believe), UBCD4Win using the previous disk to build, Ubuntu Live cd uptodate with the "try"option (32bit), Trinity Rescue Kit, Password reset tool, Rescue System Common -en AVIRA (antivirus), AVG Rescue CD, all created with in the past 2 days.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Please read this from Mircosoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

This should and I mean should get you back to normal again.

Please keep us posted.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 potroastmaster

potroastmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

Is there a way to back up drivers since i only have the tower here and when i return the computer the owner may not know how to locate download and install required drivers. I am still reading the procedure you sent.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

You can burn the drivers to CD...and give same to owner...once you download all.

Louis

#5 potroastmaster

potroastmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

Ok so Re-installation is the last and only option at this point? Not re-writing the boot sector(is this possible)? or another option that i have read, but fully want the experts advice, install ubuntu/linux as a dual boot option and sometimes corrects boot issue.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for responding so quickly,
Jeff

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

install ubuntu/linux as a dual boot option and sometimes corrects boot issue.

This is not an option I would perform at this point, it does not always fix a Windows related problem.

It may give you access to the partition to save data and files, but that is about it.

If you follow the procedure posted on the Microsoft web site, it should not delete your files and folders.

The procedure will only re-write the Windows installation, unless you choose the option to delete the original Windows folder, your OS should still be intact.

All your settings and programs should still be there when it is finished.

You will have to go back to Windows update to install all the security patch updates again.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 potroastmaster

potroastmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

Attempted to perform repair at installation window, but did not correct the boot. Backed up the files and installing new now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users