Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp freezes on boot-up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BMTex

BMTex

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

After having various malware/ransomware infections and cleaning them up for the last few weeks, this morning I restarted my computer and it would not boot to even the windows logo. I tried to boot to safe mode and the same outcome. On the list of drivers being loaded, it appeared to be stopping right after it loaded the driver for avg anti rootkit. No change with trying last working configs or directory load. It is a dell e510 running xp service pack 3, please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Do you have a system repair disk or the Windows XP installation disk?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 BMTex

BMTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

I don't know where the installation disc would be if they even have it still, though I will look for it. I am on vacation and the comp in question is my parents. The data on the drive is far more important than a new or restored os so I would prefer to not have to wipe drive if at all possible.

#4 gina richter

gina richter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

Get a free registry scan for your system as the malware has changed some key value in the Registry. You will find out the where the error come from and then you can fix it with a registry cleaner. For more information about the free registry san, you can go to:

http://www.bestregistrycare.com/

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

Get a free registry scan for your system as the malware has changed some key value in the Registry. You will find out the where the error come from and then you can fix it with a registry cleaner. For more information about the free registry san, you can go to:

http://www.bestregistrycare.com/

Please do not use registry cleaners! Here is why

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 September 2010 - 10:21 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

I don't know where the installation disc would be if they even have it still, though I will look for it. I am on vacation and the comp in question is my parents. The data on the drive is far more important than a new or restored os so I would prefer to not have to wipe drive if at all possible.

Please let me know if you have the disks when you get back from vacation, in the mean time please enjoy yourself. :thumbsup:

If in the event you post your answer and I do not reply back to you, please feel free to PM me and I will give you futher instructions based on if you have the OS disks or not.

There are other ways, but I prefer the Windows operating system disk if possible.

Many thanks in advance and please enjoy your vacation.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 September 2010 - 10:25 PM.

#7 BMTex

BMTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

Sigh. I guess the computer was inherited from a relative that passed, so the original windows disc might be hard to find. Will any xp disc work?

#8 BMTex

BMTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

TAnd the only programs I use to clean are ones I have read about on this site. Rkill, Mbam, and super anti spyware. I had downloaded avg anti rootkit, but never used it when I found I didn't need it.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

Sigh. I guess the computer was inherited from a relative that passed, so the original windows disc might be hard to find. Will any xp disc work?

To do a Windows XP repair, yes any windows XP disk will work.

Bruce.

#10 BMTex

BMTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

Ok, I found the disc and I am assuming I push f12 at startup.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

Actually...to do a repair install or to run the sfc /scannow command...the disk used must reflect at least the same SP as the system.

To wit...if the system reflects SP2, then the disk used must reflect either SP2 or SP3.

If planning on using the Recovery Console...any XP disk will do (the RC is the same in each MS XP CD).

Louis

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:24 AM

Thank you Hamluis for your input, I was thinking the same thing you posted above concerning the SP number presently installed on the hard drive.

The recovery console is the direction we want to head for first.

However while we are on the subject of service packs, BMTex do you have any idea what service pack is listed on the Windows XP installation disk? It should be listed on the right side of the Windows XP installation disk.

Bruce.

#13 BMTex

BMTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

The disc that I found is a xp professional only. No sp listed on the side.

#14 BMTex

BMTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

So I guess I'm screwed?

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

Here is what I would do.

Sometimes installing Windows XP SP3 resolves some issues.

I am linking you to an ISO image from Microsoft.com

As with all ISO images, these images have to be burned to a CD-R or DVD-R disk using a burner program that converts ISO images and then burns them to a disk.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...50-fe22559d164e

Burn the ISO and install the Windows XP Service Pack 3 to your hard drive.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users