Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop lost connectivity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi,

My connection was upgraded from 6 Mbits to 16 Mbits this morning and everything was working properly, but the joy was only short-lived as all of a sudden the laptop is unable to connect.

I have a Desktop (with Vista on it) connected over LAN and a laptop (with Windows 7 on it) that connects over wireless to the FritzBox 7170 Router. The router itself is showing the connection coming in at 17691 kbits and an upstream of 1183 kbits and Vista is working with no issues. The router however, is showing only 3 grayed out neighborhood connections, but is not showing itself. When I connect the laptop directly over the LAN cable to the router it has no problems establishing the connection.

The troubleshooter on Windows 7 on the laptop is showing "Problem with wireless adapter or access point" and "A network cable is not properly plugged in or it may be broken" as "detected" which is bogus, since both these conditions are ruled out as in that case it would not even connect directly.

So what is possibly wrong? Any solution would be really appreciated. :huh:

Thanks

Bobang

in all things be men

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

Did you try to reset router?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Hello Broni,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it, but it didn't change anything.

Bobang

in all things be men

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

I assume, you used "Reset" pinhole to do that?
Did you restart laptop since?

Did you try to reinstall wireless driver?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:04 PM

Mine has a small button at the back, but I did not use that. I went into the router directly using my desktop and reset it inside as there is also a setting to that. I will try this again - to reset and reconfigure the router. My only apprehension is losing a lot of telephone data inside which I try and backup if possible. Will keep you informed..

Bobang

in all things be men

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

OK :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

Strange how things sometimes simply fall into place.. I disconnected the router from electricity, the computer and the ISDN (network) and couldn't back to it for the last couple of hours. Now I just came back and reconnected the plugs and suddenly the laptop says that it has found a network!

Everything's back to normal and purring as always. But I am still at a loss to know the cause of it all.

Thanks for your support, Broni :huh:

Bobang

in all things be men

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

Good news :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users