Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Presario C700 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fyryce

Fyryce

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

Good Morning,

checking my daughter's laptop, won't boot up, very weird clicking noises internally....preformed self check on the hard disk...results - hard disk failed - replace hard disk 1 ( warranty ID error code 10008)

I'm assuming the hard disk is fried????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

warranty ID error code 10008

There's some very intertesting reading when you do a google search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...q=&gs_rfai=
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Your error is indicating your hard drive is failing or has already done so.

Course of action at this point is saving your data from this hard drive as soon as possible!

The sounds you are hearing is a possible worn read/write head dragging on one of the disk platters.

The servo may also be making this noise, no matter what is making the noise, the drive is failing and eventually will not boot up at all.

The time has come to put this hard drive to rest and purchase another hard drive.

Sorry, I wish I could have given you a cheap solution to fix your hard drive, sadly there isn't such a solution. :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Fyryce

Fyryce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

many thanks...I have already backed up the info previously on an external HD...this is the 2nd HD in this laptop within the year, I'm guessing replacing the laptop would be better than trying another HD??

any preferences for a new laptop brand?? HP is not in my good books anymore ;)

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

Laptops are prone to more hardware failures then a desktop, simply because they are built into a confined space.

Hard drives are prone to heat exposure and failure because there isn't a suitable solution to keeping them cool.

You could replace the hard drive if you so wish to do so.

As for recommendations for another laptop, I often find it hard to offer suggestions because we all have personal tastes and mine may not be the same as the next persons.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

this is the 2nd HD in this laptop within the year,

Is your daughter rough with that laptop, most drives can't hold up to shock?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Fyryce

Fyryce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

she's not 'hard' on it per se, but she's in university and uses it quite often, enough to wear the letter off the keys...I'll have to phone the guys that replaced the HD 10 months ago, see if there's any parts warranty, that'd be nice..

Many Thanks for your help Bruce and Chewy...love the site!!!!

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

We as a team try to do our best, which is what makes BC one of the top web sites for information, help and advice.

I could also suggest purchasing a laptop cooler unit, these come in handy when the laptop is on a desk or table, you place the laptop on top of the unit and it helps to keep the laptop cool.

Good luck with the warranty, hope they give you a free replacement hard drive. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users