Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services Not Started

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 andie

andie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:02 AM

Hello there,

I've had a problem with not having services start since MS Security Update on October 14, 2005.
I'm using XP Pro Sp2. I can't play certain Java games, firewall has been disabled, system restore also disabled, no help/support. The security was installed automatically while I had it setup to let me choose when to install, etc. The reference to this update is: MS05-051. Anyone else having these type problems? It even states in the Microsoft website that these particular events may happen. Called MS Support via phone; even they couldn't fix my problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance.

*do not have XP Pro start up disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:38 AM

:thumbsup: to BC Andie.

That doesn't sound so good. I was going to point you to a Microsoft support page which has resolutions but having looked at it I'm not sure what language they are talking. It looks like English but none of it makes any sense (to me).
For what it's worth the link is here.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to help with this. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:20 AM

While I don't claim to be any more knowlegeable that Rimmer, I've got a bit of experience dealing with permissions problems (that I've inflicted upon myself! :thumbsup:

Is the article that Rimmer posted the one that describes your problem?
Are you receiving any of the error messages described in the Symptoms section and the More Information section?

If that's the case, this is the article for you. Basically what it's saying is that there's a problem with the permissions that are needed to operate the COM+ and MS DTC services.

But, here's the catch - I don't know if it applies to you because of this section:

Systems that have changed the default Access Control List permissions...

Have you done this?

But, further reading shows that you'll just be setting the permissions back to what's required for them to run.

Now, permissions and access are very "flakey" creatures. Be sure to document and back up every step that you take in case something gets hosed. This is more difficult to recover from than a bad registry edit or a hard drive format - because of all the "flakey" stuff.

Then apply the fixes in this section (FYI - %windir% is your Windows directory, by default in XP it's C:\Windows):

To resolve this problem, restore the default permissions to the COM+ catalog. To do this, follow these steps:
1. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Everyone group has READ permissions.
2. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the SYSTEM account has FULL CONTROL permissions.
3. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Administrators group has FULL CONTROL permissions.
4. In the advanced security properties of the .clb files in the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here option is selected.
5. Make sure that the Everyone group has one of the following permissions:
• Traverse permissions (“List Folder Contents”) on all parent directories, including %systemdrive%, %windir%, and %windir%\registration
• The Bypass Traverse Checking permission
Note The system may later create additional .clb files in the %windir%/registration folder. To make sure that the new .clb files have the appropriate permissions, grant the Read permissions to the whole directory instead of just granting it directly to the .clb files that currently exist. You can use the Cacls.exe file to automate these permission changes on the affected computer or to easily roll out the changes to multiple computers. Use the following commands.

echo y| cacls %windir%\registration /G everyone:R system:F administrators:F
echo y| cacls %windir%\registration\*.clb /G everyone:R system:F administrators:F

Note Make sure that there is not a space between the y character and the pipe (|) character. If there is a space between these characters, the commands will not correctly execute.

At the bottom of the article there's a method to reproduce the problem - you might also be able to reverse engineer a solution from this.

BUT, beware the typo! -

Step 1 states:Click Start, click Run, type Explorer.exe c:\winnt\registration, and then click OK.

Change to (if your %windir% is C:\Windows):
Click Start, click Run, type Explorer.exe c:\Windows\registration, and then click OK.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users