Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Progressive Devolution of XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zumbido

zumbido

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

:thumbsup:? My advanced system log says that on July 20 the Protocol Handler could not be loaded , IEPH.RSSHandler. also, Entry in the Hash Map cannot be updated.Context: Windows Application System Index Catalog. Device not functioning (0X8007001f).
Since then, I've had dozens of "events", I can't open programs because Windows can't find the .dll or .exe, and I can't get on the net. Not on that computer, anyway.
My son says it's a virus, I thought it might be a mechanical thing (as in "device not functioning").
I can use the CD player to burn and view files on Win Media Player, and I've been saving my records/videos to disc to prepare for erasing the hard-drive. But I keep thinking it's a mechanical thing, and I am being stubborn about it. But not so stubborn as to not be able to re-enter cyberspace.

Thanks for your help. I'm off the the glossary to see what is a HASH Map?

Edited by hamluis, 06 September 2010 - 09:08 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:32 AM

It sounds like your hard drive is dying. Can you please post some specs for it?

#3 zumbido

zumbido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

Intel Core 2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66 GHz.. Installled 2006, I believe.

By booting-up a commercial audio album, I can get Windows media player running fine, accessing all files andburning CDs.

By booting up a Picasa back-up disk I can get that running a functioning to burn DVDs

I can't get from my desktop to open any files, but will get a download message that says Windows cannot open that particular .dll or .exe file extension.

Thanks for your interest, cryptodan

Haven't located a definition for hash map, as yet. ha

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Follow this:

Fixing Executable Files.

#5 zumbido

zumbido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

cryptodan, the link you sent led me to a real eyeopener, XP from A to Zumbido. First, I tried to enter a command on "RUN". but the following wouldn't let go of the entry line "http://rad.msn.com/ADSAdClient31.dll?GetAd=&PG=IMSCB2&AP=1007" Second...there really was no second, and I have so many notes I couldn't possibly sort them out.

I ended up downloading a free Paretologic Filecure.exe file, which Windows couldn't open...oh ya, when I would "browse" to "run" a program, I never saw
windows explorer in the program files, but it would be referenced now and again, as on the taskbar. Where is it's file location?

I followed a link to dn-ld a free SuperAntiSpyware.exe with associated installer, didn't open, so got SAS_FREE.exesetup, which wouldn't open, likewise other "go to if'' including
SASAFERRUN.exe, and a manual definitions installer. nothing. Was my problem that I downloaded to disc to install via D drive? How can you open a file when
windows says it can't?
sounds like it's the hard drive. Just spoke to a friend who says I should just buy a used desk-top for $150 to $200, and use one of the many monitors laying around his shop. After getting a better understanding of what's up with computers, I think my friend's idea was a good one.

It feels like I wrote a bunch of drivel..but I clearly was obligated to respond to you, cryptodan, and others willing to help people with their computer grief.
God bless you guys.

zumbido

Edited by zumbido, 10 September 2010 - 01:52 AM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:44 AM

Did you go down to the Fixing Executable files portion?

You should be able to bring up a command prompt and run the fixes.

#7 zumbido

zumbido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:56 AM

I tried to edit out that face below..not at all how I feel.

z :thumbsup:

#8 zumbido

zumbido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

no, I didn't. But after an all-niter I'm somewhat disinclined. For curiosity..where would the command prompt be found?

#9 zumbido

zumbido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:26 AM

yup, did that last nite. first couple times I wasn't able to type more than the R of Regedit before the command line was co-opted by the http://radmsn.com etc command quoted below..which prompt would create a download appearing window with an exe file on it that I couldn't open.
Just now , I ran command.com and got "windows cannot open this file: command.com"

#10 zumbido

zumbido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:31 AM

yes, read Fixing Executable Files and followed directions. "should be able to bring up command prompt" yes, ran command.com which windows cannot open.

do we have a permutation of a virus?..I'm beginning to feel a bit viral!! hahah

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#12 zumbido

zumbido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

I read the instructions in "This Guide".
I cannot download from the net onto my computer.
If I download a program onto a CD on another computer, I cannot open that CD
I cannot RUN any command-line prompts, because windows cannot open them.
What am I not understanding?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users