Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery - can ping, resolve DNS, no internet in any browser

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 henryrhenryr

henryrhenryr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:47 AM

Here's the thing:

I have WinXP Home. Pretty old but still working fine. Recently I caught a virus and managed to get rid of it.

But I think there is a lingering problem - it won't connect to the internet.

Just to be specific:

I can ping a web-address including domain names so I can rule out network issues and DNS issues. Apart from this, I can use two other computers on the network with no connection issues. It must be my computer.

Furthermore, I have installed Ubuntu (dual boot) and I get a good connection with no issues on the same machine. So it's not hardware.

I have tried all major browsers - firefox, chrome, opera etc. IE was opening and working very slowly but now simply won't open. This makes me thing that there are lingering registry issues from a virus?

One last oddity - I can connect normally for about 2-3 minutes immediately after I boot up. If I connect to gmail for example the connection doesn't go - i mean it keeps working normally. But after a few minutes I can't open new sites. I can use my email normally but for example a youtube video wouldn't open within my email as it should. So if I have a connection to a site, it remains. Only new connections won't work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Getting desperate! It's a really weird one.

Henry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

Have you tried Winsock XP fix ?

#3 henryrhenryr

henryrhenryr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for your reply. I just tried it and no impact. The problem remains...

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:05 AM

It may be possible that one or more of your system files are corrupt.
Open Start Menu->Run and type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users