Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steveaber

steveaber

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:17 AM

i am building a brand new system, with all new components. i am installing 64 bit win7. i will have one 500 gb hard drive. There will be nothing special about the build. Do i need to partition the hard drive?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

I prefer to partition my drives into two, with a smaller partition for system and applications. This simplifies drive maintenance, including easily creating a system restore image to simply re-instate the OS/applications partition if there's a disaster.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

You need to consider how you are using a computer to answer your own question. I prefer to partition a large hard drive into three sections, but you might want to consider more.
1. System and apps
2. Data storage
3. Work-related storage
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 steveaber

steveaber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

After making my partitions on the new hard drive and i create a system restore file, can i tell it where to save the system restore file? So i could save it to another partition? to be left alone for an emergency? does win 7 have a utility to build partitions on a hard drive? The creating of HD partitions is to take place after my OS install

thanks
Steve

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

I want to point out to you that you should never save any recovery options to the same hard drive, even if it's to another partition. If the hard drive fails, you loose any chances of recovering.

As for system restore points, you are better off leaving those in their default location.

Get yourself another hard drive and install it as a slave.

Windows 7 action center has an automatic back up feature, click the flag in your system tray and you will see a window pop up click open action center.

Expand the Maintenance tab, look for the word BACK UP AND RESTORE in the left menu click it and choose a schedule and a drive to back up to.

Although you can use DVD disks, the number of disks you'd need out-weighs the option of using another hard drive, because on some computers, it may take as many as 12 DVDs to create the back up, and the back up on those disks becomes old real quick.

Using a slave drive allows Windows back up to perform its task automatically and keeps your back up current.

Just wanted to add, Windows 7's back-up saved me once already when I corrupted my Windows 7 partition a few months ago, I was able to re-install a fresh copy of Windows 7 and then I restored it back to the way it was by using the back-up I had on the other hard drive.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 10:27 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 steveaber

steveaber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Mr. Bruce,
thanks for the advice. sounds like the right way to go. I'll let you know how it goes

Steve

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

Mr. Bruce,
thanks for the advice. sounds like the right way to go. I'll let you know how it goes

Steve

You are welcome for the advice.

Just so you know I have a 500 Gb hard drive and I have Windows 7 back up my C: drive to an 80 Gb E: hard drive every Sunday at 7:00 PM.

Sometimes the white flag pops a warning saying my back drive is not big enough, but I have not had a problem with it filling up, it usually only fills up 40 Gb of space, so I turned off the warning regarding that in the action center.

As I said, that back up helped me restore my computer to the way it was before I corrupted my Windows volume a few months ago.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7, then went to action center, and choosed restore from a previous backup, it read the files on drive E: and my Windows 7 was restored back to the way it was before the volume corruption occured. It was a life saver. :huh:

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users