Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 crashes when Macbook is on network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zimmer46

zimmer46

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:25 AM

Main PC is an AMD 64 X2 4600+ with 2Gb RAM and runs Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I also have XP installed on another HDD so that I can boot into either OS. However, the problem I have only occurs in Windows 7. The PC is hard wired to my router.

Windows 7 was running without issue for several months. However, my son bought a Macbook for his studies which he connects to the network by wireless. The Windows 7 PC now crashes to BSOD with error messages and asks me to check and recently installed hardware / software. Nothing new has been added and I have checked all drivers are up to date. The problem only occurs when the Mac is connected to the network.

I Googled and found some info suggesting a problem with IP conflicts and have tried allocating a fixed IP to the respective machines, but the problem persists. I have also tried a fixed IP on the PC and leaving the Mac to get an IP from the routers DHCP, but same problem soon occurs.

As I said, if I start the PC in XP, the PC and MAC work happily together on the network, so I am assuming itís a Windows 7 gremlin rather than the Macbook.

All help greatly appreciated.

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

I think maybe u shud scan for viruses or try a connection program besides the win7 one. Wefi is the only one I can think of as of now. But I really dont see how a network issue could cause BSOD. But giv that a try and I hope it helps. Its the only solution I can think of

#3 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:24 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I keep virus and malware protection up to date and have a regular scanning regime in addition to the usual resident protection, so I'm pretty sure I'm free of viruses and malware.
Interestingly, since I put the MAC and the PC on fixed IP's it seemed to remain stable all day yesterday. However, Son #1 returned home from abroad last night and he has a MAC too. Guess what - three crashes in 10 mins this morning. He was using DHCP for his IP, so I've changed him to a fixed IP also and we shall see how that goes !

I managed to get the error message written down this time if it means anyhting to anyone !!!
The PC also saves the info to a crash dump file, but try as I may I cannot access the file.

"STOP : 0x0000007F (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000000006F8, 0xFFFFF8002A9505F"

Andrew

#4 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Based from the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539

Its categorized as double fault.

Did you try to check if the issue happened when you are on safe mode with networking?
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#5 smoke911

smoke911

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

gotta love this bug, it's almost like it was intended to be there, hmm.... how can we stop people buying macs....make them incompatable with windows 7..... I know thats not the case, but it would be genius if it was no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users