Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to use Linux perm.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moris

moris

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:14 AM

Hi, I know that i wont be able to play so games and stuff.... but i was wondering if i was going to be able to use Google chrome, yahoo, youtube, etc....? And where do i get started, also i know about the dual boot and i want to use linux perm. And one more question will i be able to install windows again if i want to switch? Also whats the difference between Ubuntu, Beryl, Sabayon, and SUSE.

Edited by moris, 06 September 2010 - 01:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

You can play games in Linux. You can even run Windows programs in Linux using Wine.
If you want to dual boot Windows and Linux, i would recommend using WUBI install as it is easier.
If you want to install Linux only, then its even easier. Just boot from a Linux CD and follow instructions.
Ubuntu, SUSE, Sabayon etc. are different flavors of Linux. Beryl is a program used inside Linux.

I personally recommend Mint or Ubuntu.

WUBI (install Linux inside Windows) : http://wubi-installer.org/
Dual boot Ubuntu with Windows : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
Boot from Ubuntu CD and install : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
Mint Linux : http://linuxmint.com/
Ubuntu : http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Most Linux installers these days will automatically detect Windows installs and will offer to setup a dual boot for you. WUBI is not my preference at all, but others may disagree.

Ubuntu, Sabayon and SuSE are what are known as Linux distributions. "Linux" specifically refers to the core, or "kernel," of the system; the engine in the car, as it were. By itself, the Linux kernel is about as useful and interesting as a car engine without the car. Distributions provide the rest of the car, so to speak. They are compilations of applications, background processes, daemons, themes, sounds, and all other aspects of an operating system. These compilations are put together and maintained by groups of people who happen to like their way of doing things. Sometimes it comes down to little more than some people prefering method X of doing things and others prefering method Y. It's not unheard of for people (read: super geeks) to eschew the pre-fabricated distributions and build their own operating system from the thousands of available parts.

Finding the right distro for you is similar to finding the right brand of coffee: they're all quite alike but some appeal to your particular needs and interests more than others. In general, new users are steered towards the Ubuntu family of distros. Ubuntu and it's siblings (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu-Studio) make a concerted effort to provide a Linux operating system which anyone can use; "Linux for human beings" is their motto. Any of the Ubuntu family would make an excellent starter Linux for new users. (That isn't to say that Ubuntu&Co. are less powerful/not as good/dumbed down versions of other distros, of course.)

As Romeo said, you can use WINE to run a large number of Windows applications, including a number of games. It's not perfect, however, but you can check on the WINE AppDB for other people's experiences with an application to get a sense of what to expect. Of course, there are tens of thousands of Linux-native applications available, from office suites to online 3D first person shooters (Alien Arena, baby!)

#4 moris

moris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

alright tnx for the info.

#5 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

i haven't had much luck with wine (but then, i've only tried it twice). my wife, however was able to make a monopoly .exe work with wine. i looked over at her and she's playing monopoly with linux.

i'm kind of a newbie myself with linux, but why limit yourself. linux has so much to offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users