Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Final Fantasy XIV Benchmarking Tool

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

This tool will help you determine if your PC is capable of playing the game and will score it. A few things to note about this tool, 1. This will not take advantage of SLI or Crossfire and thus your score will be a little lower if your computer is capable of those using those technologies, 2. This game uses the same engine as Final Fantasy XIII and the cut scene will render the game using it, however, it is no guarantee that Final Fantasy XIV will run when it goes gold. For reference, my PC is running an Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and two 9800 GTX's in SLI and I scored 2770 running the 1080p benchmark.

Final Fantasy XIV Official Benchmark

Score Ranges:

[8000 and over] Extremely High Performance
Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.

[55007999] Very High Performance
Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.

[4500-5499] High Performance
Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.

[3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.

[2500-2999] Standard Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings.

[2000-2499] Slightly Low Performance
Capable of running the game, but may experience some slowdown. Adjust settings to improve performance.

[1500-1999] Low Performance
Capable of running the game, but will experience considerable slowdown. Adjusting settings is unlikely to improve performance.

[Under 1500] Insufficient Performance
Does not meet specifications for running the game.

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Lets see, on the high resolution, I got somewhere around 1620, and in the lower resolution, I got a 2684.

Thats with my Q6600, 9800 GT, and 4GB of DDR2 800 ram.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

It's a badly optimized benchmark. It will not run in SLI or Crossfire, it has a large Nvidia "Mean't to be Played" logo on it and seems to score lower on Nvidia cards, it loves the i7 CPU's but expect the score to be seriously dinged if you use anything else. This probably relates to how the game engine is used with the Cell CPU and RSX in the PS3, they just copied it over to the PC. I think the benchmark gives a very rough estimate and may not reflect actual performance in real gameplay. The open beta for the game is currently up, if you want to participate you can go here to fill out an application.

3939.png

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the link DJB!

I just finished beating Ultimecia in the final battle of the PC version of Final Fantasy VIII and watched the movie at the ending.
I have to admit I have had this game since 1999 and never played it until about 3 months ago.

There were times I almost felt like I did L.S.D when Ultimecia was about to do the Hell's Judgment and Apocalypse attack on my characters.

If anyone has played the game recently, when Ultimecia is about to drag those planets in on your party the video gets really weird for a bit there, almost psycodelic.

Alas, with Zell and Squall as my last remaining characters, I kept casting triple rounds of meteor on her, it took about an hour of non-stop battle and all but two (Squall and Zell) of my characters being absorbed into time, before I finally whooped the faceless Ultimecia's butt!
Griever was no push-over either, he wiped out a good portion of my GFs, I failed to have ITEM enabled during this battle, so I was not able to resurrect any of my GFs once they died during the summoning process.

I have to admit the ending wasn't what I expected.

I was expecting Squall and Rinoa to get married at the end.

But the ending was mostly about Laguna and Raine.

Squall did briefly speak with Matron (Edea) at the orphanage as she was being possessed with the power of the dying sorceress, to which Squall does not recognize the little boy standing next to Edea as being himself in the past.

The credits section at the end of the game of course was sort of Corney, seems they were simulating someone had done videos of the six characters doing Corney things.

I did have to laugh at Zell where he was eating like a pig in the Balamb garden cafeteria. :lol:

Anyways other than that, I saved a lot of the game in separate files after I had obtained all the GFs and had rescued Rinoa from the Sorceress's memorial and since I had the Ragnarok, I played all of the side-quests.

I plan to replay the game from the last save I did just before entering the Lunatic Pandora with the Ragnarok to defeat Fujin and Raijin and spend more time playing cards in the game.

Thanks for sharing and hope my computer passes the test.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 December 2010 - 03:03 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 gazjd

gazjd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:12 AM

bruce, how have you only just played ff7! i wasted my youth on that game lol, aaaaah wonder what cloud is upto these days? lmao
(INSERT SOMETHING FUNNY HERE<<<<<)

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:36 AM

bruce, how have you only just played ff7! i wasted my youth on that game lol, aaaaah wonder what cloud is upto these days? lmao

I played FF8 not FF7.

I bought the disk back in January 2000 when it first came out and never opened the box it came in until 2010.

I do have the movie "Final Fantasy VII" on DVD. But not the game.

I plan on getting a copy of it and play it.

By the way FF8 played fine on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

BTW, you can also download Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX from the PlayStation Network to play on the PlayStation 3 or PSP systems. If you haven't played the game for FFVII, the movie doesn't seem quite as impactful. Which Final Fantasy games have you played?

3939.png

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Well DBJ I have to admit, I do not have a PS-3 console.

The last console I ever owned was the original Nintendo gaming console to which I played Zelda, Ultima and a few other RPGs. I passed those games I had onto my son, who now collects those old consoles and games as a hobby.

The first real RPG I purchased for the PC was....Final Fantasy 8. I had originally found it on a demo disk.

Demo disks used to come with game related magazines such as 'computer gaming world', 'Incite', 'PC Gamer' and 'PC World'

Matter of fact as I was just looking through my demo disks I just found a demo disk called EIDOS DEMOS Volume 2, to which I see a demo entitled 'Final Fantasy VII' Hmm? Might try loading it to see if it will run, even if it is the demo version. Thats what struck my interest in FF8 to be truthful.

Quake III Arena was my second PC game I played before I got into "The SIMS" to which I stopped playing that game just after I upgraded it to "The SIMS Living Large" Expansion pack.

I actually saved the game as it was when I last played on a CD-R disk and have it on my Win 7 computer. It was just a matter of installing the game and replacing the save game folders with the folders from the CD-R disk, to bring the game back to as it was when I last played it, even though it was last installed on a Windows ME enviroment back in the year 2002. LoL, I had a patch that removed the blotch that covered the SIMs when they were in the shower. At times, they would walk around the house naked. :lol:

I then got into on-line 3-D interactive chat programs such as "Active Worlds" which still exists to this day and steered away from PC games all together.

To my understanding Final Fantasy has been an web based RPG since Final Fantasy X, correct me if I'm wrong, but its either X or XI.

Me personally, I do not like interactive Internet based games as much as I enjoy playing the game off of my hard drive. Besides, once the game is on your hard drive, you do not need to pay access fees like you do with web based versions that require paid for in advance subscriptions.

I tried the benchmark downloaded from Square soft ENIX, it loaded the program and I choose a character called huyr (male) and chose low resolution, clicked the start button, the program did nothing after the window disappeared.
So my thinking is my computer does not support this version of Final Fantasy XIV.

I am limited to AGP since my motherboard does not have any PCI-E slots and AGP cards I've seen only go up to 256 Mb, which is where I am presently stuck for now.

My processor is clocked at 2 GHz (2000 MHz) it's an Athlon XP 2400+ (single core) (The minimum requirement) however, I just don't think my graphics card is capable of making the game run at all.

I have the PNY nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP 256Mb video card.

I believe a 1 Ghz video card is needed for this game to run at all.

Time to build a new system I guess. <_<

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 December 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:49 AM

Final Fantasy XIV is very tough on even high-end systems. Final Fantasy has been on Nintendo systems up until VI, then it switched over to PlayStation consoles from VII up until now. Square Enix switched over to the PlayStation becuase Nintendo went with cartridge-based media on the Nintendo 64. That type of media is expensive to produce and does not hold as much data as CD's. Final Fantasy X is a single player off-line game, like all of the other FF games with the exception of XI and XIV which are online games. Some of the earlier games in the franchise have also been re-released on the Nintendo DS, especially the ones never before launched in the U.S., like III. The most recent off-line Final Fantasy was XIII launched earlier this year, here is it's trailer showing gameplay and FMV's in HD. The game plays a lot like Final Fantasy X, which was itself polarizing but it is still one of my favorites. Aside from the MMO versions of the franchise and VII and VIII, there is little chance it will be a PC game again. There are plenty of good RPG's for the PC that even an old machine can play nowadays.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users