Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Top rated wireless routers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hello,

I am looking for the best wireless router out there. I will have both g/n laptops to run. Most of my pc's are wired but I will have two iPhones and three laptops to run. Also a Wii's in two rooms. This is the router I have now. It has some issues with disconnecting from my laptops. Also it seams slow. I want a router that will have good connection anywhere in my house. $400 limit

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT160N

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

I had the same Linksys router you currently have. For a few months, it worked flawlessly. Then it took a nose-dive, making the wireless computer run slower than a turtle when it was connected. Like you, we experienced frequent disconnects.

We know it was the router, because I took the unusual step of getting another modem from my cable provider. Hooked up the modem, his computer ran fast. After several months of paying for 2 internet connections, I tried the Linksys again-still slow. After working for a week with someone from Linksys, I gave up. (While trying to solve the issue via Linksys help forums, I did a search for that model, and found a lot of complaints about it)

A trip to Office Depot for a new router resulted in the purchase of a D-Link DIR-615. I had a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $25 or more, so I got it for $39.99 You don't have to spend big bucks for a router.

So far, we are very pleased with it. I've had it since July 15th.
The wireless computer is running great. And I was able to return the other modem and reduce my cable bill.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 September 2010 - 07:53 PM.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

I have a friend who has one of these and loves it, has good ratings, and yes, it is an updated version of the one you got. I personally, like to use trendnet routers such as this one I personally use one of these currently (just got it) and I love it. Its not high end by any means, but it runs wireless N, gives my wireless laptop excellent signal everywhere in my apartment, and seems really reliable, and was very affordable (its only 35 now, I got it on clearance for 25)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

Great thanks for the info. What makes a wireless router better as far as signal strength. I mean what should I look for? What are better on these more expensive models? Will I see a difference from my Linksys g/n router ?

Thanks

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

A lot probably depends on what you use it for. For me, on my home network, my internet is only 8 meg, and I only have 3 computers on the home network, 2 wired and the others actually wireless G. I only have one that tasks my router and thats my gaming rig. Now, say on a home network with say, 6 different computers/gaming consoles, that may task my system a bit. Things to look for primarily, are the network controllers. The 160 dollar lynksys one I recomended was made for gaming-my friend uses it to hook up 2 gaming rigs, and 2 xbox 360s for constant access to xbox live. If you do a lot of home networking, especially if you transfer alot of files from computer to computer, especially if you have a file server, or say a high speed fiber optic internet connection, a router that has gigabyte LAN would be ideal so you can transfer files faster, and on the wireless side make sure all your computers support wireless N. If your like me, a 10/100 should be fine. multiple antannaes are nice, as they can boost signal strength and clarity as well. Just some things to look at. Some people get really picky over them, this one has such a such network controller and all, to me, as long as it does the job, I dont care, but as stated I dont have a large use for home networking, my 25 dollar clearance wireless N does me fine-doesnt slow my internet down, and what few times I do transfer stuff in network, it doesnt take all that long and it does fine. In fact, until recently, I was using a wireless G router with no problems. What Im more concerned with is quality-i dont like them breaking down or losing signal like yours-I just want it to sit there and do its job.

So I guess is, what it comes down to is what do you plan on doing it? you mentioned multiple PCs? how many PCs are you planning on running? Im counting 5 right now counting your laptops and your wiis, plus how many on the wired network. That would be pretty tasking for a router such as mine, your probably will want one of the pricier ones with a more powerful network controller and multiple antanaes, like that lynksys I recomended or the more expensive trendnet. just my two cents anyway, networking isnt my strong suite.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

Well I have seven pc's that connect through Ethernet not wireless. Then I have two laptops that will be either connected to Ethernet when at desk or wireless when they are away. One PS3 that is through Ethernet also. Also have two Wii's that will be wireless & two iPhones. Oh ya almost forgot I have a WDTV live & Seagate HD media center connected to Ethernet cable also. I think that is it. :thumbsup: I have a 30meg connection now. I might upgrade to 50meg.

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

SOHO routers are a dime a dozen. They will all be crap compared to the more expensive counterparts. I've had everything from Linksys to D-Link. They all seemed great at first but got worse and died over time.

#8 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

SOHO routers are a dime a dozen. They will all be crap compared to the more expensive counterparts. I've had everything from Linksys to D-Link. They all seemed great at first but got worse and died over time.

So which router would you recommend?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users