Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cleaning up laptop spill keyboard specific

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 belteck

belteck

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

I was reading I can use isopopyl alcohol to clean the keyboard. Would that solution rub off any of the letters on the laptop??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

It depends, but in most cases, it is better to use a damp rag moistend with a solution of water and dish soap, never use a rag that is dripping water!

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:18 AM

No, it won't rub the letters off.

A good method to use is q-tips. Dip the q-tip in whatever you use, then squeeze out as much of it as you can with a paper towel. Or you could use an old toothbrush, again squeezing out the excess.

As MrBruce mentioned, you don't want it dripping wet.

An alternative to the alcohol: Listerine or other ANTISEPTIC mouthwash.

#4 bensurchn

bensurchn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

Just a safety suggestion. Don't forget to "unplug" your machine. If you don't there is still the possibility of a shock hazzard. After you have it cleaned as good as possible, use a hair dryer on low or medium heat to speed up the drying process before you reconnect the power cord. You could use canned or compressed air but if there's any residual liquid it may wind up getting in a not so good place.

Good luck,

bensurchn

#5 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

Just a safety suggestion. Don't forget to "unplug" your machine. If you don't there is still the possibility of a shock hazzard. After you have it cleaned as good as possible, use a hair dryer on low or medium heat to speed up the drying process before you reconnect the power cord. You could use canned or compressed air but if there's any residual liquid it may wind up getting in a not so good place.

Good luck,

bensurchn

I will make sure its disconnected, thanks and ill wait a bit for the capacitors to discharge.. I was planning on disasembling it and cleaning it out that way to play it safe with the MOBO and such. Its a Macbook and it had a bit of beer spilled on it :thumbsup: ..Hopefully it was a good beer at least..Hopefully start this endeavor today.

An alternative to the alcohol: Listerine or other ANTISEPTIC mouthwash.

New one for me..it doesnt leave it sticky, really?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

Nope, doesn't leave it sticky. At least it never has for me.

#7 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

Well I finally got my hands on this machine. But to my disappointment it doesn't look like a hardware issue it, unless the liquid totally shorted out the keyboard. It boots up fine and the trackpad works however. None of the keys work and the caps lock wont even light up when pressed. I tried hooking up a USB keyboard which works fine. Right now im running Permission repairs and verifying the disk. Afterward ill try resetting the pram. If that doesn't work ill be at a standstill. :thumbsup:

Should this post be moved into the Mac OS forum instead?

#8 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

Anytime you want to clean a laptop keyboard the best thing is to remove it from the system and clean it. I use isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloths and q-tips.
Then let is dry for 2x as long as you think it should (even though the alcohol should evaporate instantly) before you re-install it.

Make sure you also clean the contacts on the ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users