Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No LAN when computer is turned on.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IowaGuy

IowaGuy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

I deleted some codecs I had on here yesterday, and now when ever the computer is restarted I get a network cable unplugged message. If I unplug and the cord from the router and plug it back it it works fine untill I start up the computer again. I dont want to have to do that everytime! Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

Computer make and model number please?

Is your Ethernet intergrated into the motherboard or is this an add-on Ethernet adapter?

Also make and model number of your router.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 IowaGuy

IowaGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

It is a custom computer. Running windows XP SP3. Intel Celeron E1500 2.2 GHz dual core and 3 GB of RAM. Ethernet is on the motherboard. Router is a Linksys WRT54G.
I have noticed that if I let the computer sit long enough it fixes itself. The wire from the router to the computer is custom made by me. I would think if I have one of the wires wrong it wouldn't work at all though.

#4 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:20 AM

Sounds to me like a speed and duplex issue.

Go to the properties of the NIC and check the advance properties. Look for speed and duplex. For speed. Set it to 10 Base. And for duplex set it to full.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#5 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

I deleted some codecs I had on here yesterday, and now when ever the computer is restarted I get a network cable unplugged message. If I unplug and the cord from the router and plug it back it it works fine untill I start up the computer again. I dont want to have to do that everytime! Anyone have any ideas?

In order to best diagnose, we would need to know what codecs you removed.

Also, if you are having such messages, you will need to try some of the following steps:

*Uninstall/Reinstall NIC drivers
*Try a new network cable
*System Restore to before the codec removal

If none of that works, then you may have done some damage to the OS that cannot be reversed. You can try running the SFC /SCANNOW from a command prompt, but you will need your Windows CD, preferrably with the current service pack you have installed.

If all else fails, you may have to backup and reinstall Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users